Chestnut Oak c/s/s

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cptoneleg

Minister of Fire
Jul 17, 2010
Virginia
Woke up today decided to cut a little wood, 18" to 22" lenghths left pretty large splits for future overnight burns in 2 to 3 seasons from now.

Attachments

• SDC10225.jpg
    SDC10225.jpg
    317.3 KB · Views: 334
  • SDC10227.jpg
    SDC10227.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 319
  • SDC10228.jpg
    SDC10228.jpg
    294.3 KB · Views: 330
Great stuff. Chestnut Oak is one of the White Oaks,isnt it? None in the Midwest that I know of.Plenty of White,Bur,Swamp White & scattered amounts of Post Oak though.

That would be a Red

Thistle said:
Great stuff. Chestnut Oak is one of the White Oaks,isnt it? None in the Midwest that I know of.Plenty of White,Bur,Swamp White & scattered amounts of Post Oak though.

Yes one of the Whites, (90% of trees on my place are chestnut) I have a few Reds few Whites and alot of some type of Maple, I have posted pictures of the maples on here most folks call them soft Maple.

Quercus prinus (syn. Quercus montana), the chestnut oak, is a species of oak in the white oak group, Quercus sect. Quercus. It is native to the eastern United States, where it is one of the most important ridgetop trees from southern Maine southwest to central Mississippi, with an outlying northwestern population in southern Michigan. It is also sometimes called "rock oak" because of montane and other rocky habitats. As a consequence of its dry habitat and ridgetop exposure, it is not usually a large tree, typically 18-22m (60-70 ft) tall; occasional specimens growing in better conditions can however become large, with trees up to 40-43 m (130-140 ft) tall known. They tend to have a similar spread of 18-22m (60-70 ft). A 10-year-old sapling will stand about 5 m (16 ft) tall. This species is often an important canopy species in an oak-heath forest. [1][2] The trees are usually not the best timber trees because they are usually branched low and not very straight, but when they grow in better conditions, they are valuable for timber. The timber is marketed as 'mixed white oak'.

So, what kind of an acorn is on this chestnut oak? Are they edible?

Dont know about Chestnut Oak,but I've eaten a few White & Bur Oak acorns before.It helps to boil them for a few minutes,but occasionally you find some that are good to eat right from the tree.Never ate any Red Oaks,those are much more bitter & dont know if even boiling would leach out all the tannins.Still prefer Shagbark or Shellbark Hickory(Kingnut,they are close to size to average Black Walnut,which are my fav.)

Status
Not open for further replies.