Chicken Wing Experiment Tomorrow..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dix

Minister of Fire
May 27, 2008
Long Island, NY
Bobby Flays grilled wings w/chipotle

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...cheese-yogurt-dipping-sauce-recipe/index.html

Ingredients
46 chicken wings
Vegetable oil
Salt and freshly ground pepper
Chipotle Hot Sauce, recipe follows
Blue Cheese-Yogurt Dip, recipe follows
Directions
Heat grill to high. Toss wings in a few tablespoons of oil and season with salt and pepper. Place on the grill in single layers and grill until golden brown on both sides and just cooked through, about 4 to 5 minutes per side.

Chipotle Hot Sauce:

1 1/2 cups red wine vinegar
3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 to 3 tablespoons chipotle pepper puree (depending on how spicy you like it)
3 tablespoons honey
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 stick unsalted butter, cut into pieces
2 tablespoons ancho chile powder
Whisk together the vinegar, Dijon mustard, chipotle puree, honey, and oil in a medium bowl. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.

Melt butter in a large skillet or a large pot on the grates of the grill. Add the hot sauce mixture and bring to a boil. Whisk in the ancho chile powder and season with salt, to taste. Add the wings and cook, stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes. Serve with Blue Cheese-Yogurt Dip,

Blue Cheese-Yogurt Dip:

1 pint thick Greek yogurt
3/4 cup crumbled domestic blue cheese
2 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
3 tablespoons finely sliced scallions
Combine all ingredients in a bowl and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving.

I'll keep ya posted :)

That's a lot of vinegar. I'll be curious to see what you think of this.

I'll pass on the dip, just gimme a little ranch dressing

can't wait to hear how these came out!! I LOVE chicken wings!!!!

I think I'll be cutting back on the vinegar a bit. Making the chipotle puree from scratch. Also pulvering the ancho's as I could only find dried versions of each.

Awesome !!!

I had no red wine, so used cider, and a splash of red wine :) I did not add salt, which I think, did not make an iota of difference.

The sauce is very good, I'd go for an overnight with the mixing (did 2 hours), and an occasioanl stirring. Use a brick of blue cheese, not the precrumbled stuff.

I made some garlic bread slices on the grill to go with the wings, and have nothing left :)

Cool - sounds like a good meal. I'm not much on chicken wings - here in Kansas, we usually deal in big, boneless slabs of meat - brisket, steak, chops, etc, but I can totally see some thick chicken breasts soaking in juicy sauce and sizzling away on the grill.

I do a Bleu cheese like that - 1/2 sour cream and 1/2 yogurt with lemon, garlic and scallion.

Wings - grilling those buggers is just begging for a pain with the fat causing fires. I either smoke them or bake them for a bit. Smoking them adds a ton of flavor of course. Baking them just renders some of the fat and makes them easier to grill for sure.

Thanks for the inspiration - have not done wings in months...

CTwoodburner said:
I either smoke them or bake them for a bit.

I have an Alton Brown recipe where you steam them for a few minutes then bake them. Really, really good. I recommend it. Google should turn up the recipe if anyone is interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.