Chickens and Chainsaw

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

aussiedog3

Feeling the Heat
Sep 15, 2009
West Michigan
We let the chickens out of their enclosure on the weekends when we are outside working around the house.

They are Isa Brown breed. They are two years old, still laying like crazy. Best eggs you've ever tasted. Easy to take care of.

We started two years ago with six of them. Dog ran over one of them. One wandered away or a predator got it and a third just died recently.

And then there were three.

We are going to start some more in a week or two. My son wants six more layers, I am going to try a dozen meat chickens for the first time.

They love pecking in the yard eating grass, seeds, bugs, pebbles, etc. They eat everything and are fun to have around.

They wandered over to where I was working so I snapped a few pics.

Attachments

• DSCN0529 (Large).jpg
    DSCN0529 (Large).jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 425
  • DSCN0530 (Large).jpg
    DSCN0530 (Large).jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 415
  • DSCN0531 (Large).jpg
    DSCN0531 (Large).jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 414
I think birds are "way cool". We had a cockatiel for 17 yrs. and greatly mourned his passing. Never tried chickens but may in the future, if I can get over the inevitable question of what to "do" with them when they stop laying reliably.... They crack me up; just something about the way the way they cruise around doing their "chicken work". I particularly like the "Barred Rocks"... like elderly ladies in herringbone tweed suits, lol.

aussiedog3 said:
...Dog ran over one of them...

My dog's not a very good driver, either. %-P Rick

I'd love to have some yard birds too, but my chocolate lab would not cooperate.

Nice looking chickens.

Status
Not open for further replies.