Child proofing outlet plugs for air infiltration

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
It was pretty cold last night and I could feel the breeze really coming in through the outlets, specifically the holes for the plug prongs.
I've been putting the foam things on but I wonder if there are plugs specifically made for the outlet holes or do you use the child proofing plugs?

I was also thinking of pulling out the wires and caulking the holes in the boxes and on the interior perimeter, but that seems like a lot of work.

What about spray foaming the hole in the box where the wires come in? Not in the box.

Hard to retrofit.
Even pulling the wires from each outlet in the house to caulk the holes from the inside has gotta be tedious.

As with most things, it's easy to fix the big holes and get the big improvements in efficiency. It's much harder to get the final few improvements. Time to get out the caulk gun.

Matt

It might be easier to just pack the outlet box with some fiberglass insulation. Just tear off pieces and pack them in there with a stick. Pack them tight.

velvetfoot said:
Hard to retrofit.
Even pulling the wires from each outlet in the house to caulk the holes from the inside has gotta be tedious.

Just open the box, stick sprayfoam nozzle into the back/bottom of the box where the wires come in and spray. Try to spray in a circular direction. Use high volume spray with very little application so you don't blow anything out.
Read it in Fine Homebuilding tips.

Our local, maybe national, codes require the builders to squirt expanding firestop foam at each knockout in the box where the wires come in. It's not the electrical codes it is the building code. This can be done any time. It is more to prevent a fire in the box from spreading into the wall but would be great for infiltration. I think even better than cover gaskets.

Jab the long applicator nozzle beside the outlet to the back and puff in the foam. The proper fireblock foam is more expensive than standard foam. Fiberglass does not stop air flow.

velvetfoot said:
I don't like to work with spray foam from a can...uggg.

Wear gloves.

Status
Not open for further replies.