Chimney Always Smokes.... Why?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ckdeuce

Feeling the Heat
Feb 11, 2008
Western, PA
New Manisfield, 5' double wall stove pipe to wall thimble, 1' horizontal run through wall, 90 bend up 18' of double wall insulated duravent chimney. Chimney is not enclosed outside.... I can never seem to get it not to smoke. I run my stove at 450 - 500. Most of my wood is fine, but even when I load it up with my best wood that I know is dry, I still get smoke. No a huge amount, but i get smoke. With my old stove, I would get the normal smoke at start-up, but once it got going I had nothing but heat coming out of the chimney. My old setup was and interior chimney, but I would think that once I got the exterior chinmey heated up I would have no issues. Chimney looks clean inside, but I know smoke is not good. Even when I crank my stove up to 550 I still get smoke. It heats great, and I have no other issues, but the smoke has me nuts.

Any thoughts? I know "wood not dry" might be a common sugestion but I do have some 2 split, stacked, and covered wood that does the same thing.

Thanks

If you are getting heat and the chimney is staying clean, don't worry about a little smoke.

What color? If its white and dissipates quickly its steam and its fine. If its dark then theres a problem.

laynes69 said:
What color? If its white and dissipates quickly its steam and its fine. If its dark then theres a problem.

Yep. White and goes away fast. Thanks!

ckdeuce said:
laynes69 said:

Yep. White and goes away fast. Thanks!
Sounds like your wood isn't as dry as you think it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.