Chimney Brush & Rod Recommendations

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leeave96

Minister of Fire
Apr 22, 2010
Western VA
I'm a few weeks away from cleaning my chimney and will be doing it from top down.

I'd like to brush down past the thimble to the clean-out. Thimble is about 16 ft down, cleanout is about 23ish ft.

I have a square flue with an inside dimension of 6-5/8.

I plan on using a 7 inch square steel brush since I have a clay liner (vs poly for stainless).

My questions are:

1. What length rods do you prefer - 4', 5', 6'

2. What diameter rods do you prefer - 1/4" or 3/8"

3. Who has the best deals on brushes and rods?

Thanks!
Bill

4 foot . . . but I don't think it really matters much on the length . . . these just seem to be easier to find and cheaper.

Larger diameter . . . beging a guy of course I always believe bigger is better . . . and in this case I just figure bigger generally equals more rugged

Don't know about the best deal, but I have had good luck ordering through northlineexpress.com . . . last I knew they were also a sponsor here.

Status
Not open for further replies.