Chimney cap removal

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pyper

Jan 5, 2010
Deep South
I was on the roof and looked at my new chimney cap, from the standpoint of thinking about cleaning it.

It's one of these:

http://www.ventingpipe.com/metalbest-6t-ct-sure-temp-6-class-a-chimney-pipe-round-top/p1068884

Apparently after they cinched the three legs over the flex liner, they used silicon to seal the large flange to the sheet metal cover on the top of the chimney. (So there's a metal cover screwed to the masonry, and sealed with silicon, and then this piece sealed to that piece.)

So how do I get it off to clean?

Can I cut the legs under the dome, and then fabricate something to re-connect? I'm guessing not, but that sure would be easy. The whole thing is under a sheet metal cover, so if I just removed the dome the chimney opening would still be covered from rain, but it would need a screen to keep birds out.

It would be easy to cut the legs just under the dome, and then use gravity and a brick to hold the dome in place.

Why is it I have a feeling that none of these easy solutions will be the correct solution?

Without a pic, we all van only imagine the situation.
Why can't you loosen the band around the legs and lift it off?
Silicone can always be cut and or removed

Hogwildz said:
Without a pic, we all van only imagine the situation.
Why can't you loosen the band around the legs and lift it off?
Silicone can always be cut and or removed

The band is at the very bottom of the cap, around the flex. It's under the part that's glued down with the silicon.

It's dark and raining right now, so a photo isn't an option at the present moment, but here's a sketch:

chimneycopy.jpg

Your plan sounds workable.
I think the straps/legs are spot welded to the cap. Can you remove the 1-1/2" band, just below the hat, it might be pop riveted, (drill them out) then cut the legs where it was?
cut the legs so you have enough left to splice on both pieces & cut a piece of galvanized sheet metal in strip as wide as the legs. Drill & pop rivet one end of the strips to the cap (2 rivets so it hold good)
then put screws thru the strip to the leg that is attached to the chimney. Then you can take it of easy when you need access to clean it next time.
Might use the band (I think it's a wind band) to be the splice & attach with screws instead of making spice strips.
Sure hate to cut out all the silicone & have to dope it up every-time you clean the pipe.
A good weather job for sure.
The cap you have is made to just clamp to the pipe, this one has the clamp built in. ,mine is about the same but uses a big hose type clamp to hold it on.
If they buried the hold down clamp. time to modify it so you can get in there & clean the chimney.
Good luck

Attachments

• metalbest_6tct_stainless_steel.jpg
    metalbest_6tct_stainless_steel.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 488
  • 102_4083.jpg
    102_4083.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 518
Hi Dave,

That sounds like a pretty good idea. I hadn't thought of using the band as the connector. Just get some small SS nuts and bolts. That would have the advantages of keeping all the things in their original configurations and not needing to cut the silicon.

I'd prefer to avoid cutting the silicon and lifting the pipe because I'm sure there can't be much slack in it. That is, lifting it up at the roof end might dislodge it at the stove end.

Why do you have a Class A cap on a flex liner

BrotherBart said:

Yeah, apparently they used the wrong part - if it was a contractor. On class A, that clamp would be visible and accessible. On the liner, it hides down below the seal at teh top of the chimney.

Bummer!

BrotherBart said:

Beats me -- I didn't do it.

Is it a problem? Aside from the one I've discovered, that is...

Does not look like a problem except for the fact that you have to modify a cap when you should not have to. Other than that, you just have to make sure no water can get in anywhere. Liner caps are designed with parts to make sure your flue is sealed off with the correct sized top plate...see link...

http://www.chimneylinerinc.com/round-liner-kit.php

i call that:
"Brand new, to be modified, to be useful"

Status
Not open for further replies.