Chimney cap

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Maple man

Burning Hunk
I have an englander nc 30 it has a good draft when burning but when I relode it it smokes a little bit I was woundering if I took the. Chimney cap off when burning to get a better draft thank you

Have you tried opening the door slowly, and I mean turtle slow. It happened to me once or twice and I found that opening the door really slow won't suck the smoke out.

Yes I have tried it and it still smokes thank you fore the tip

Have you looked into your chimney for any blockage as well as the cap. The cap will tend to collect alot.

How tall is your Flue and how far above the house is it?

Smoke is entering my house my firewood is 2nyear seasond Norway maple and black locust
My chimney is 18ft class a stainless steel

Thanks for the clarification. the only suggestions i could add are:
1. Open the air control completely a min or so prior to slowly opening the door to reload. this will get some heat and "momentum" up the chimney and limit the smoke into the room.

2. typically, when it is time to reload, the remaining coals should not be smoking that much, so maybe wait a bit to add more wood.

3. Make sure all exhaust vents in home are off, ie cloths dryer, bath exhausts, stove etc.

Locust stinks bad when the bark burns -- good luck

madison said:
Thanks for the clarification. the only suggestions i could add are:
1. Open the air control completely a min or so prior to slowly opening the door to reload. this will get some heat and "momentum" up the chimney and limit the smoke into the room.

2. typically, when it is time to reload, the remaining coals should not be smoking that much, so maybe wait a bit to add more wood.

3. Make sure all exhaust vents in home are off, ie cloths dryer, bath exhausts, stove etc.

Locust stinks bad when the bark burns -- good luck

#2 in that post is a direct hit.... If the load is burned, then there should be no smoke.

So now the question is, are you just adding a split to the stove here and there? Or burning in cycles?

If burnt in cycles, there should be no smoke.

But if your gonna open the door during the burn, then follow #1 and #3 above (no air movers and open Primary to get some heat moving up the stack).

Status
Not open for further replies.