Chimney Clean intervals

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 17, 2011
central Texas
I have been burning my Jotul Castine f400 regularly since late November. My wood is fairly dry, 10-20% moisture range, oak and hickory, but would it be wise to clean the chimney now, or wait until April when the cold season ends? In our part of Texas, it is not like the North where you burn 24/7. I come home and light it if need be, but some nights no fire is needed. Other days, I will run it all day long.

This is my first year to burn a stove and I don't know what type of creosote I am throwing up the stove pipe.

At least inspect it. Peace of mind that way.
look to see if there is any creosote build up near the top.
If you have the equipment, run a brush thru it & see how much creosote comes out.
I brush mid twice per year, not getting much, but knowing that, is a relaxing feeling.

First year, inspect about nice a month as weather permits.

Once you get the hang of running the stove, you will probably only need to do a mid season inspection.

Many of us check our chimneys during the "January thaw".

-SF

Restarts are where the accumulation builds up. Look up or down that thang once a month until ya get to know how much builds up with your burning habits.

And next time you are in town, have a good chicken fry for me. Can't find one out this way.

As others have said . . . it's a good idea to at least check the chimney monthly.

Status
Not open for further replies.