Chimney Cleaning Equipment

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jotulf3cb

Oct 19, 2009
Philly
I want to clean my metal wood stove chimney myself and wanted to know where I can go online for a good deal on the brushes/extension rods?

I've heard best price on brushes is via the Ace Hardware website - do their free "ship to store" routine... For the rods, do a search on the threads about making your own out of PVC electrical conduit. Works better, and a fraction of the price...

Gooserider

Amazon has some good prices on brushes and as Gooserider says make your own rods. They work great and are cheap.

I bought my rods and brushes at Northlineexpress.com . . . as well as other products. I've been happy with the speed of service and quality.

atvdave said:
I like the looks of that sweeper. I clean outside from a Tee from the bottom up. It looks as though you can send this through the thimble and down a 90* bend. IF so, now I don't have to take off the stove pipe. True?

Manufacturer told me a tight 90 degrees could be problematic.

It wouldn't be the tight 90* from the Tee, but I"m thinking the regular 90 from the stove pipe towards the thimble & tee. Maybe
I'll wait a bit to see if others have used it on an elbow of single wall stove pipe. Thanks for the heads up on that though.

My liner only has a little old 45 on it so I can't help about the 90. The rods are very flexible, I clean from the top down and to prevent from having to stand right over the liner I stand back and have the rod attached to my drill in a 180 to 130 degree all the time. (except when I'm cleaning the first 2' or so).

What kind of a radius bend would you say is OK with the soot eater rods? I have to clean my chimney from the bottom, and essentially I'm going in the base of a tee (stove connected to the snout) with about 12-16" clearance between the bottom of the tee and the hearth... I can do this bend with my conduit rods, but it's tough, especially getting the brush started... How would the soot eater do on it?

Gooserider

That sounds like a tight spot for a bend. I'm a good 3' to 4' away when I have that much of a bend. Too bad they don't make a Y-adapter instead of a 90 TEE made for stoves? Would make thing's a lot easier for people in your shoe's.

I really can't answer your question... sorry.

in lower rockalnd county, hadlers hardware in pearl river has 6 foot fiberglass rods for about $12 apiece, and brushes are available at hadlers or mcnamara. lowes in nanuet sells set-up also with 4' rods. i like the 6' rods, they seem to bend easier, make the joints when you are putting rods together with a wrench. taking apart the chimney to get out a brush would be a bummer.

f3cbboy said:
in lower rockalnd county, hadlers hardware in pearl river has 6 foot fiberglass rods for about $12 apiece, and brushes are available at hadlers or mcnamara. lowes in nanuet sells set-up also with 4' rods. i like the 6' rods, they seem to bend easier, make the joints when you are putting rods together with a wrench. taking apart the chimney to get out a brush would be a bummer.

Not bad for "official" type rods, but my PVC conduit setup cost me about 1/2 that for THIRTY FEET worth of rod...

I do agree on the possible problem of getting a stuck rod out, which is why I've always advised putting a "retrieval rope" on the brush, no matter what kind of rods you are using. That way you can always get the hardware out, no matter what happens to the rods.

Gooserider

rope is a good idea, i definatlly will do that. thanks Gooserider

A followup to this thread.

I used the Sooteater system from the bottom up and it
worked great. I ordered it from NorthlineExpress.com.
Your local stove dealer may also carry it.

Simple, easy and safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.