Chimney Cleaning Pictures (First time DIY)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodpileOCD

Minister of Fire
Jan 19, 2011
Central NC
In Dec I decided to tackle the chimney cleaning job myself because I'm a firm believer in the adage that you don't pay someone to do anything you 'think' you can do yourself. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it's an Oh S*#t moment. Worked out this time. Don't know how clean it's supposed to get but it seemed pretty clean to me.

I have an 11x11 flue in an outside masonry chimney so I bought the appropriate brush and decided to go the rope and weight route so I didn't have to spend another 50 bucks on rods.

Having never done this myself, what do you old hands think. Is this a respectable job of cleaning or does it need to be done more. I was going on a comparison before/after basis and it looked great to me.

Here are the pics.

Attachments

• chimney sweeping-1.jpg
    chimney sweeping-1.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 385
  • chimney sweeping-2.jpg
    chimney sweeping-2.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 427
  • chimney sweeping-5.jpg
    chimney sweeping-5.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 395
  • chimney sweeping-11.jpg
    chimney sweeping-11.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 398
  • chimney sweeping-6.jpg
    chimney sweeping-6.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 389
  • chimney sweeping-3.jpg
    chimney sweeping-3.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 401
  • chimney sweeping-4.jpg
    chimney sweeping-4.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 382
I would sleep at night, now. But, I would also line that chimney, for many reasons.

Welcome to the Self Cleaners Anonymous Group :) I bet you are glad you did the cleaning. We use a chain as a weight, give it a flick of the wrist, and it spirals on the way down, busting out a lot of loose stuff.

holy cow! i have never seen buildup like that in any of my chimneys! great thing you got er done. isn't much to it, right? i remember my first time...had lots of questions before i finally got a friend up there with me. felt kinda foolish afterwards, though. sure didn't need the help, you know?
now...looking at the pics of the yard, why don't i see snow? i thought you got hit by a big storm that had schools closed?? i haven't seen bare ground during the winter since i lived in hawaii. at least your yard isn't green.
oh yeah, might i suggest a bit of sealant in the cracks on the chimney top?? a little now helps out alot later on. good job!!!

yooperdave said:
holy cow! i have never seen buildup like that in any of my chimneys! great thing you got er done. isn't much to it, right? i remember my first time...had lots of questions before i finally got a friend up there with me. felt kinda foolish afterwards, though. sure didn't need the help, you know?
now...looking at the pics of the yard, why don't i see snow? i thought you got hit by a big storm that had schools closed?? i haven't seen bare ground during the winter since i lived in hawaii. at least your yard isn't green.
oh yeah, might i suggest a bit of sealant in the cracks on the chimney top?? a little now helps out alot later on. good job!!!

Yea, I do need to get back up there and seal those cracks.

Snow, this is Charlotte NC man. We've had a couple of snows but they don't last long. I've see a foot of snow be gone in 3 days here. Had a medium one (4") by our standards a couple weeks ago.

I remember my father using an old Christmas tree to clean his chimney when I was a kid a hundred years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.