Chimney cleaning with a Mt. Vernon Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joescho

Feeling the Heat
Feb 11, 2009
Northeastern PA
Hello All -

Got my chimneys cleaned today from my chimney guy. He cleaned my upstairs fireplace in anticipation of the install if my Mt. Vernon insert. After he finished, we were chatting and he asked me if I had any literature on the new stove because he was curious on the cleaning aspect of it. I had some parts of the manual that my dealer gave me to read up on so I showed him that.

He asked me how the liner connects to the stove and such because I would expect that to clean all of this, you go on the roof, use the brushes down the pipe, then vaccum out the crap after it falls down the bottom. It looked to me that if you did that with this stove, all that crap would get inside of the stove.

Since at this point I have no idea, I told him I would find out. Do you need to pull the stove and disconnect the pipe, or is there another way? How do you go about it?

Thanks....

Stove needs to be pulled out & pipe disconnected. Some inserts have slider rails to make this easier. Do not brush from top to bottom while pipe is still connected to stove.

remove the right panel using the finger latch. Remove the exhaust motor- WITH THE STV IN PLACE. Vac what is brushed down and the back of the heat exchanger through where the motor mounts. These units come with a red silicone gasket that is meant to be reused up to 100 times, so removing the motor and replacing it is not a problem.

Thanks... At least I do not have to pull the stove out which would not be all that fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.