chimney diameter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stew

Jun 10, 2008
Quebec ca
Hi all
I've been lurking for quite a while, but now I officially registered!
I am currently building a new house, just installed the radiant tubing in basement slab, garage slab and main floor
1 1/2" slab. I don't want to purchase a boiler until next year, once I see how the house will perform over a winter.
However now I would like to rough in the spacers that go through the floors and attic.
EKO 25 is 7.8", Does this mean an 8" chimney? It seems very big.
EKO 18 is 7.1", Does this mean 7"?
Tarm 30 says 6"
Any suggestions for a chimney diameter when I have not chosen the boiler yet?
It would likely be one of those three choices. I would be comfortable with a 7 ",
Would that work on a EKO 25?

If I were in your position I would leave enough space to accommodate the largest diameter of the choices you have. How will you get through the next season without a boiler? Do you have oil or gas. This could be a make or break season. If you can get your own wood for free it's a no brainer.
Mike

Hi Mike,
The WAF factor requires a back-up system. I plan to put in an electric boiler(cheapest energy here in Quebec 6 cents/kwh)
I also will install an epa certified fireplace which will heat most of the house. We will be there part time for the first year or two.
This summer we are concentrating on construction!
Stewart

Stew said:
Hi all
I've been lurking for quite a while, but now I officially registered!
I am currently building a new house, just installed the radiant tubing in basement slab, garage slab and main floor
1 1/2" slab. I don't want to purchase a boiler until next year, once I see how the house will perform over a winter.
However now I would like to rough in the spacers that go through the floors and attic.
EKO 25 is 7.8", Does this mean an 8" chimney? It seems very big.
EKO 18 is 7.1", Does this mean 7"?
Tarm 30 says 6"
Any suggestions for a chimney diameter when I have not chosen the boiler yet?
It would likely be one of those three choices. I would be comfortable with a 7 ",
Would that work on a EKO 25?

I'm running an EKO 25 with a 7" stovepipe connecting to an 8" square flue. No problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.