Chimney Doc gave my chimney a clear bill of health, Do I still need to reline it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jvilichka

Dec 12, 2010
jersey/florida
I just had my chimney cleaned and inspected. I bought a used vermont casting winterwarm insert, and wanted to know do i still need to line the entire chimney with 8" ss flex tubing or can i just use the 5" piece that came with the stove. the top hole on the stove is oval this pipe piece is shaped oval and will fit thru my damper without breaking up anything in theflue? i'm just not sure what to do> any suggestions will be helpful. Thanks and Happy Holiday's to all

Using the 5' foot piece of pipe that came with it is all that is required if the chimney is in really good shape, this is called a direct connect. If you do this, you will have to pull the thing out into the room every year when you clean the flue. It also will not function as well as it should, it is much cleaner and easier if you can get it lined before you use it.

Don't run the insert with just the oval adapter. As to the best way to connect, a liner is really preferable. But for specifics, can you tell us more about the chimney? How tall is the chimney? Is it lined? What is the interior throat size? Is this an interior or exterior chimney?

In only my opinion, this subject is regional. Since you claim NJ AND Fla, I would suggest both solutions. NJ would be a region that may be a 24/7 burn for stretches, a set-up that should be clean and hot, easily accesible for inspection and brushing, and a SS enclosed system. Fla would be a region that may not require 10 evening burns per season, and the clean bill of health would be acceptable for the present set-up.

I realize it only takes one chimney fire for this theory to prove un-sound, but with the clean flue (to start), it would take some kinda build-up, not occasional uses. This opinion is based on burning seasoned hardwood , preferably oak.

On a side note, most (all) 'chimney drs' around here and probably in Fla dont have the knowledge or experience for a proper inspection or guidance. A personal inspection, with connections at this site, would be at least the equivalent of paying a sweep (that does only a few or less per year). At least thats what Ive found.

With the milder temps in FL + typical one story construction, a liner may be required to get the insert drafting properly. If the chimney is unlined or the throat is large, then it must have a liner, no matter where it is located.

Status
Not open for further replies.