chimney help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 10, 2009
WV
First let me say that Gooserider has helped me tremendously with his ideas on my boiler install. I thank him and wish him a speedy recovery.
To my question. I need to raise the height on my masonary chimney. It is flue block with 7 inch clay tile liner. The problem is once I raise it up about 5 feet to where i need it I will be unable to clean it. The chimny comes up thru the roof of a small room off the side of my house. Right now it doesn not meet the 10/2 rule and drafts poorly. The roof it comes thru is not very steep and I had just thought that I could lean a ladder up agaisnt the chimney to clean. Just wandering what other folks do that have trouble reaching top of chimney

Ladder, or is there a possibility of cleaning it from the bottom up?

Hi -

I was in the exact same boat a couple years ago. I bricked up 4' and used an adapter to add 3' of Class "A" Chimney that can be removed for cleaning. It drafts great and is easy to clean.

The '"Adapter" is just a chimney top plate with a fitting that was ment for attaching Class A to a flat surface, like a stove or boiler. I just bolted r riveted it on. I know I used Stainless.

ATB,
Mike

zzr7ky said:
Hi -

I was in the exact same boat a couple years ago. I bricked up 4' and used an adapter to add 3' of Class "A" Chimney that can be removed for cleaning. It drafts great and is easy to clean.

The '"Adapter" is just a chimney top plate with a fitting that was ment for attaching Class A to a flat surface, like a stove or boiler. I just bolted r riveted it on. I know I used Stainless.

ATB,
Mike

good call

while a ladder to the top of a brick chimney is pretty std, a transition to class a with ease of disconnect, like Metal Bestos, can make cleaning easier at times.
But, if it is possible to go from the ground to the top of the brick, thats easier than a rooftop disassembly job ime. As a sweep, the least amount of teardown the better.

zzr7ky said:
Hi -

ATB,
Mike

Confused me a bit. So did you gain 7 ft overall with this. Do you have any pictures or links to the adaptor (chimney top plate) that you used. Do you have clay tile below this in the original chimney? Any issues with me going from clay tile to stainless at the top

Status
Not open for further replies.