Chimney inspection advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flatbedford

Minister of Fire
Mar 17, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
I do not clean my own chimney. I put off calling the sweep until now and they say I'll have to wait at least 2 weeks for an appointment. I figured I'd have a look up the pipe and see for myself how it looks. I had the chimney cleaned right before I installed the Fireview last year. After one season and about 3.75 cords all that I can see on the pipe is a light dusting of soft ash that falls off with the slightest touch. It is not sticky or junkie. I shined my flashlight all the way up and the pipe looks the same right to the cap. What do you all think? Can I stretch it another year? The Frieview seems to burn super clean and my wood is much better seasoned than it was last year. If I do make an appointment a couple weeks out, I may have to shut down the stove in cooler weather for the sweep which would mean 24 hours without my fee wood heat. I guess next year I'll call the sweep in May.

I would call it good to go for another season.

Flatbedford said:
I do not clean my own chimney. I put off calling the sweep until now and they say I'll have to wait at least 2 weeks for an appointment. I figured I'd have a look up the pipe and see for myself how it looks. I had the chimney cleaned right before I installed the Fireview last year. After one season and about 3.75 cords all that I can see on the pipe is a light dusting of soft ash that falls off with the slightest touch. It is not sticky or junkie. I shined my flashlight all the way up and the pipe looks the same right to the cap. What do you all think? Can I stretch it another year? The Frieview seems to burn super clean and my wood is much better seasoned than it was last year. If I do make an appointment a couple weeks out, I may have to shut down the stove in cooler weather for the sweep which would mean 24 hours without my fee wood heat. I guess next year I'll call the sweep in May.

Flatbedford can you buy the more flexible rods and do it, thats what I use. Most of my light fluffy stuff came from the top.

zap

Your probably good to go but I'd check the cap and top section if you can, they seem to get the most build up.

I'm an anal retentive worry wart . . . seeing what you saw wouldn't worry me a bit . . . I think you would be good for another year or so . . . just keep doing what you've been doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.