Chimney liner material decoding. Good times, good times...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

53flyer

Oct 21, 2009
Eastern WA
Just wanted to "vent" ha, ha, ha a little about all the liner options out there. I understand it "better" now (lots of the credit goes to this site & members) but it's still a bit aggravating.

304, 304L, 316, 316ti, 316L, 430?, 409?

Numerous thicknesses (.005-.007, .018, etc...)...to add to the fun. Then there's the smooth"er" flex...

So far, my understanding is that they're all ok for wood stoves but some are better for "harsher" conditions which are generally described as "coal" burning.

Fun, fun, fun.

I think you should generally stick with the 304L 316L or 316TI sometimes a little 321...

53flyer said:
Just wanted to "vent" ha, ha, ha a little about all the liner options out there. I understand it "better" now (lots of the credit goes to this site & members) but it's still a bit aggravating.

304, 304L, 316, 316ti, 316L

Numerous thicknesses (.005-.007, .018, etc...)...to add to the fun. Then there's the smooth"er" flex...

So far, my understanding is that they're all ok for wood stoves but some are better for "harsher" conditions which are generally described as "coal" burning.

Fun, fun, fun.

I'd really rather there be only 3 possible options. Either 1, or 2, or 3 "period". Nothing can ever be that simple though (unless you just want to go with whatever a particular dealer says &/or you don't care about costs). LOL

316ti covers you for everything whereas 304L will just do wood and pellet as well as gas. Alot of times what happens is some of the smaller guys will buy 316ti instead of using 304 because buying more of one material will drop down the price per pound. I know last year I went through 160,000 lbs of 316ti... Know what you may want to do is ask for a spec sheet showing what the material is. I won't mention names because I wasn't told any, but my metal guy sells 430 and 409 to a guy who sells flexible chimney and i'm assuming he tells his customer otherwise. Either way that material is not UL approved.

MagnaFlex said:
316ti covers you for everything whereas 304L will just do wood and pellet as well as gas. Alot of times what happens is some of the smaller guys will buy 316ti instead of using 304 because buying more of one material will drop down the price per pound. I know last year I went through 160,000 lbs of 316ti... Know what you may want to do is ask for a spec sheet showing what the material is. I won't mention names because I wasn't told any, but my metal guy sells 430 and 409 to a guy who sells flexible chimney and i'm assuming he tells his customer otherwise. Either way that material is not UL approved.

Why is 430 fine and or great for the inner liner of double wall Class A but not for flex liners?

Can't give you an answer for it, thats just what it was tested to. But I have yet to see a liner tested using 430. Could also be because a flex liner is generally .005 whereas that double wall has an inner wall .020 with an insulated outer layer that is .016 or .021. I haven't used much of their double wall pipe but I do see their direct vent kits on a daily basis and I am not a fan of the material they use at least on those kits.

BrotherBart said:
MagnaFlex said:

Why is 430 fine and or great for the inner liner of double wall Class A but not for flex liners?

I've read that 430 stainless will corrode and rust and its also magnetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.