chimney or venting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 10, 2009
WV
I have a Burnham series 2 boiler in my house. I just bought the house and no nothing about gas boilers but I am learning. I recently added a wood boiler to my hydronic system that i spiped thru my propane boiler. My propane boiler is not turned on at this time. I installed the wood burner into the chimney that was used for the propane boiler and it is working OK meets code and all that. My question is for the propane boiler chimney. My thoughts were to just run the pipe out the side of the room and put a downturned cap for venting the boiler. After reading up on this boiler i have discovered that these boilers basically need the same type of chimney requirements as my wood boiler.. Why is this? The boiler has a damper and draft hood. I didnt think these propane boilers go tthat hot and a good pipe is all that is needed. Now I am reading that i need a 15 ft chimeny similar to my wood boiler for this. Any thoughts or recommendations? I would like to get the propane boiler operational for times when im away from home (no wood loader)

Couchburner;
While most hi-efficiency propane burners are designed for "direct vent or closed combustion" the model you have is intended to be chimney vented. If you have only one flue - now being used by your wood boiler- you might consider investigating a "power vent"
system to allow the sidewall venting of the gas unit. The power vent is basically a fan that simulates a chimney as it "pulls" the combustion gases out to the sill of the home and then disperses them safely into the atmosphere. There several types available. Tjurland is one.. They come as a kit system for aftermarket installation. The all have a safety interlock that only allows the boiler to fire when there is a draft from the fan. You could contact your boiler supplier ... he might know of this alternative venting system(s). PLEASE do not mix solid and liquid fuels in the same flue as this is asking for trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.