chimney pics before flex install...??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RAY_PA

Feeling the Heat
May 13, 2008
Northeastern PA
Here are a few shots of the chimney that I will put the flex liner in, for the PE Summit. Any thoughts or ideas to aid the install or preformance? (The lower part of the house, with the black star on it is an attached, uninsulated 2 car garage, no heat in it)
Should I clean the liner before I install the flex?

Attachments

• 101_1081.jpg
    101_1081.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 678
Yep. Clean it good before the liner installation. You want neither the stuff to possibly light off from contact with a hot liner or to flake off and fall down on the block-off plate as it dries with heat and age.

Reason I spent so much time/effort getting mine good-n-clean: Fear of having a sooty aroma in the house occasionally, (post install), and knowing I would have to pull out the insert (and maybe some liner) to get to it. If you currently have an open fireplace, you may find most of the soot cleaning is at the damper end of things. (Although, having said that, your TC liner does look kinda black in the photo. (Assuming it was photographed from the top).

Maybe my fear was unfounded, but not a risk I wanted to take.

pic was taken from the top. It is black and has some scaley build up on it, not alot, tho. When it rains now, we do have that sooty aroma for a little while.

just thought of this.....how in the world do ya clean that big of a liner?...the brush I have now id for a 8" square liner....thats not gonna do a very good job?,,,is it...and certainly not gonna be easy? I looked real quick and didnt even see a brush for a 13X18 inch liner??

Yikes

Would this one work? http://www.northlineexpress.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=5RU-MSF-1216 Dang expensive though. Northline is where I bought my old square brush, and I've been happy with them.

A lot of folks complain that they get the sooty smell mostly when it rains. About 5 years ago, I did a smoke test, (so to speak), and found some minor cracks in mortar and/or brick; and more importantly, in the area where steel meets masonry. I made repairs with Rutland gook, and never had the sooty aroma again. Can't otherwise explain why. This is all history now that the insert is in there. No complaints.

yep, I am sure that woudl work, but I think I'll ask around here to see if someone has one I can borrow, I'd hate to drop 100 to clean it one final time. I was thinking it'd have to be at least 12 inches to get a good cleaning.

Thanks.

Roll yourself a big blob of chicken wire tie it in the middle of a good rope drop rope end down to opening in home, have one person up top, another at the bottom, pull said rope back & forth.

Hogwildz said:
Roll yourself a big blob of chicken wire tie it in the middle of a good rope drop rope end down to opening in home, have one person up top, another at the bottom, pull said rope back & forth.

Ala Elk:

Attachments

• chimney cleaner.jpg
    chimney cleaner.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 573
Status
Not open for further replies.