Chimney Pipe is being taken down

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrism

Feeling the Heat
Oct 8, 2009
Eastern PA
Im going sat to take the chimney pipe down one question where the pipes meet are there set screws or do they just slide into one another??

Attachments

• chimney.jpg
    chimney.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 198
If I'm guessing from the far away photo that you are dealing with metalbestos brand chimney, they are a twist lock fitting with locking bands. Shouldnt need more than a flat blade screwdriver and a wrench. Some installers would not use the locking bands and just twist lock the pipe and pop a zip screw in the seam above the joint to keep it from untwisting. Either way, it should be easy to take that sucker apart.

Sometimes there will be some creosote or other crud in the seam between the sections. You might need to give the section you are removing a good whack or several with the palm of your hand to knock it loose. Whack it at the far end from the seam you are trying to unscrew. Usually they come right apart; but, I've had to work at a few some times. Grab the upper section in a bear hug usually works if the things don't simply come right apart.

I had to take some apart one time and couldn't get enough grip on the pipe. I ended up stretching a black rubber bungie cord around it and hooking it onto itself. That gave me the traction I needed to easily get them untwisted.

Status
Not open for further replies.