chimney question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

99oilburner

Feb 1, 2010
southcentral pa
i want to put a woodstove in my metal pole garage and i was told it would be like 800.00 just from the finished ceiling to the outside that was a box for in the roof trusses insulated pipe flashing for the roof some storm collars a cap and some other misc pieces i think that price is crazy can i do this cheaper i put a ss liner in my house chimney and it was cheaper than that. this is only my garage and i may only use it a handfull of times. i didn't want to spend a lot of money. i was thinking of getting a piece os steel pipe about 10 inch or so and then running my 6 inch pipe threw the 10 inch pipe from the ceiling out the roof would this be okay or is this a no no. Thanks in advance for any help or ideas

It would work.

The first thing you need to do though is check with both the local codes and your insurance.

In most places a wood stove in a garage is not welcome. With that said, we find them all over the place where I live. I also know a man who heats his garage where he does mechanical and body work. He has an 8" pipe running outside the garage and the pipe is not insulated. It does a fair job of keeping his shop warm but it also is a big stove he has.

(PA resident) - if the pole farm isn't a "structure" it's not subject to code in your municipality. In other words, if you needed to have it inspected, it's governed by code and you can't put up old truck parts on your stove for venting. ;) If the structure isn't inspected, you can do whatever you want (at your own risk, of course).

assuming i can put a woodstove in the garage i was told today that i can just run single wall stainless pipe out the building and up the side is this true a stove shop told me this. the building is metal siding so i think this would be okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.