Chimney Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NCFord

Jun 5, 2011
central NC
My stove is going to be mounted on the back of my workshop, which is attatched to the back of my two story house. The workshop has a shed type roof that is 12' long my chimney for the boiler is going to be more that 10' from the house and I am going to make sure it is at least 2' above the roof with in 10'. Is this all I will need. I cannot find referance to my exact situation (with the second story of the house being about 12' to 13' from the vent and above it)
Any thoughts? I am going to get a permit for this install so I want it to be right.

Thanks

NCFord said:
My stove is going to be mounted on the back of my workshop, which is attatched to the back of my two story house. The workshop has a shed type roof that is 12' long my chimney for the boiler is going to be more that 10' from the house and I am going to make sure it is at least 2' above the roof with in 10'. Is this all I will need. I cannot find referance to my exact situation (with the second story of the house being about 12' to 13' from the vent and above it)
Any thoughts?

Clearance considerations aside, you need enough stack diameter and stack height to pull enough draft to meet the boiler specs. My boiler is similarly situated near the outer wall of a shed structure attached to the upwind side of the house.

I ran the numbers before installing the flue and went with a little extra draft during the cold season and adequate draft during warm weather. When burning for DHW in hot weather the draft is indeed merely adequate. So I'm glad I went with an extra four feet beyond the height required just to satisfy code requirements.

--ewd

Thanks I will look up the specs.

Status
Not open for further replies.