Chimney questions for everyone.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary S

Jun 18, 2008
Southwestern Wisconsin
Do you use a rain cap on your wood boiler/furnace? Why? Why not?

If not do you cover it when not in use?

I currently use one and I'm wondering if it affects the draft.

Thanks.

AC-D14 said:

Thanks.

I have checked it with a manometer on and off and very little change on mine.

I started the season with wood that wasn't dry enough. I was getting poor draft and I ended up taking mine off which immediately improved the draft because the cap was getting plugged. The rest of the chimney was clear but the cap plugged. I haven't put it back on and will just cover it when I shut down for the summer. It doesn't seem to get very much water down it even in a heavy down poor.

As long as you're burning seasoned wood and not plugging up the cap, I don't think it would make much of a difference in draft.

I had a cast in place liner done on the chimney for my stove which requires a cap over it.

AC-D14 said:

Thanks.

Check with the manufacturer of your boiler. They will have recommendations that are specific to your product. Garn for example does NOT recommend a cap due to the nature of their design.
The thing to pay attention to is the required draft for your particular boiler.

I only put the rain cap on since I shut the boiler down. Otherwise, it's off all winter...

I ran without a cap for a while with a wood stove and the combination of creosote and water dissolved a good portion of the stainless steel liner in the chimney chimney. I won't run my boiler without a cap now. My boiler functions fine with a cap on it and I don't have to worry about water messing up a 6.5K investment. Cheap insurance.

Status
Not open for further replies.