Chimney size for Caddy Add-on Wood Furnace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pinkenglishroses

Apr 18, 2012
Does anyone know for sure what size the chimney should be for a Caddy Add-on used with a propane furnace? The manual is vague and when calling numerous dealers, they're giving us different answers, both 6" and 7". We contacted PSG and still couldn't get a straight answer. I don't want it to burn too hot and have to get up in the middle of the night to stoke it. It was rated with an EPA efficiency and all I want to know is what size pipe to use to get that efficiency.

6" or 7" will work fine. I posted on a other site but I'll post here also. Your burn times are based on the heating demand of the home. If there's a strong need for heat then the damper will remain open to satisfy the temperature of the home, therefore your burn times will be lower. I can say even though our damper may remain open for a couple of hours during the coaling stage, I still wake to an active firebox and a warm home. Because the heat load varies in a home your burntimes will vary. Like I said on the other site, keep the draft within the .04"-.06" draft for the best operation which is specified in the manual. Just curious how big is your home and how tight or insulated?

Our living area is just under 1700 sq. ft. with a walk-out basement (lightly heated) that has lots of windows (1000 sq. ft.) Our home is very tight and has 6" well insulated walls. We are going to have to bring in outside air for the Caddy. During the winter, I get to where I feel like I can't breathe and have to open the front door or keep a window open a little. Where the Caddy had to be placed in order to tie into our furnace, causes the insulated, double wall stove pipe to run at a 30 degree angle for 9.5 ft. in the basement before turning up on the outside and running 27 ft. straight up. My concern is for my getting enough draft with the angled pipe. We have a thermostat and automatic damper. I just don't want to get this thing installed and then find out I should have done it differently.

Your 27' chimney will draft fine, I'm just not sure about the 9.5' run from the furnace to chimney. Hopefully someone on here comments on that to see if it's okay. Even with the elbows your draft should be more than enough for the furnace.

Status
Not open for further replies.