Chimney sizing dilemma!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fi-Q

Feeling the Heat
Mar 5, 2009
Bonaventure, Quebec
HI guys.

I'm planning on building m first house this summer. And of course, I will be burning wood. My goal is to have an inside gasification wood boiler with storage (Froling or Eko....) . But that's a long time project that is not in the buge for now.

So I want to start with a regular afordable wood stove ( something like this: http://www.sears.ca/gp/product/B001...-4049115?ie=UTF8&searsBrand=core&mqnodeid=APS).

But, the boiler option need a 8'' chimney, and as I don'T want to have to re-do the chimney when I'll be ready for the boiler (Who knows, from 1 to 20 year from now.... ). But most of the afordable wood stove I looked at need a 6'' flue pipe.

So, can I hook a 6'' flue pipe stove to a 8'' chimney without any problem ?? IS those EPA stove would still be efficient with a larger chimney ??.

Or should I build my 8'' chimney and add a 6'' liner in it ? But that's extra cost.....

What do you guys think ? What would you do ?

Thanks !!

Sorry if there is any mistake or grammar non sense in my writting as english is not my first language.

Are you talking a block chimney or stainless? A 6 inch appliance can vent into an eight inch chimney. If you are definetely going to buy something in the future that uses eight inch go with the eight inch..

It's going to be a stainless one, outside and ''Caged'' with the clapboard siding of the house. The stove will be in the basement, the total lenght should be approx 34 feet..

With 34 feet of stack you will probably get sufficient draw with an 8" stack. Use the proper 6" to 8" adapter and give it heck. The main concern with going with a larger than recommended stack is flue cooling/draft. 34 feet worth of stack should counter act the loss of draft, and if building from scratch, insulate the wrapped chase and your cooling issue should be of no concern either.

Edit: you may find that when you get your Eco (or whatever) that uses the 8" - your 34 feet may actually be on the tall side requiring some damper action - but that can be addressed at that time.

Thanks for the input Guys !!

Hey Jags, you'Re right, I didn't think about insulating the wrapped chase.... that sure would help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.