Chimney slightly out of plumb

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kcbenson

Apr 15, 2010
Great Barrington MA
Getting ready to replace an older prefab metal chimney with a new one. Because of the relationship of rafters to joists (they don't quite line up), the existing chimney is out of plumb by 3" over 16'. Is this acceptable? Fixing it would be much harder than ignoring it. Until I dropped a line down the old chimney yesterday I hadn't even realized it was off.

Ken Benson

It's supposed to be a bit out of plum if you have a horizontal run because of the requirement of a quarter inch rise over each foot.

That being said, if it's not leaking, it's probably OK.

Chimney, not stovepipe. Out of plumb, not out of level.

My existing chimney is very slightly out of plumb, and I'm going to replace it with a new chimney that will also have to be slightly out of plumb, unless I begin moving rafters or build in a very short elbow.

Does anyone (building inspector, maybe?) worry about 3" over 16'?

Ken Benson

No way I would worry about that as long as it's secure

CarbonNeutral said:
No way I would worry about that as long as it's secure
+1
My chimney has been out of plumb since my roofers reattached it. The only problem is aesthetic. It bugs me, but works fine. I'll get to it next cleaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.