Chimney sweeping and the Kozy Heat Z42

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

olsonbri

Jan 24, 2011
Stillwater, OK
My question is in regard to chimney sweeping and the Kozy HeatZ 42. I've read the manual and talked with my dealer. But I am still stumped on sweeping the chimney...The dealer said I probably don't need to sweep the chimney. But I'm not taking chances.

Where does the debris fall after the sweep? Am I supposed to remove the upper insulation and firebricks of the Z42 and let the debris fall into the firebox, then replace these components? I figure the debris from sweeping has to go somewhere, but since there is no damper that opens up between the flu and the firebox I'm perplexed. Any help is appreciated! The owner's manual does not address this. Thanks --Bri

I'm not very familiar with this model, but yes you need to remove whatever is acting as the baffle and sweep straight into the firebox. Does this stove have burn tubes?

Chimney sweeping is a "fact of life" with wood burning in general. Can't say I have heard too many people say it wasn't necessary

Yup thanks kingquad... it has burn tubes. I think you got me pointed in the right direction. I think I can dismantle the baffle based on the installation instructions. I was feeling the need for confirmation that this is what I need to do. Treacherous, thanks for the Sooteater recommendation.... I need to purchase the sweeping equipment too.

Glad to hear you got it figured out. On my old stove, I had to remove the first two tubes and the baffle slid right out. I second the soot eater recommendation. It's a nice piece of kit.

Chimney sweeping is a "fact of life" with wood burning in general. Can't say I have heard too many people say it wasn't necessary

Agree . . . kinda foolish remark on the part of the dealer. I mean to say, yes . . . if you're burning properly . . . and if your'e burning well seasoned wood . . . then many folks may find that they don't have to sweep their chimney as often (as evidence I give you Backwoods Savage) . . . but most folks still will inspect and/or clean their chimney to be on the safe side.

My question is in regard to chimney sweeping and the Kozy HeatZ 42. I've read the manual and talked with my dealer. But I am still stumped on sweeping the chimney...The dealer said I probably don't need to sweep the chimney. But I'm not taking chances.

Where does the debris fall after the sweep? Am I supposed to remove the upper insulation and firebricks of the Z42 and let the debris fall into the firebox, then replace these components? I figure the debris from sweeping has to go somewhere, but since there is no damper that opens up between the flu and the firebox I'm perplexed. Any help is appreciated! The owner's manual does not address this. Thanks --Bri

If you don't remove anything, the debris will fall on top of the upper firebrick. Remove the retainer, firebrick and refractory panel so the soot will fall into the firebox. Some will pile up on the burn tubes and can be brushed off. The refractory panel is fragile - I set mine on top of the upper firebrick on the floor, but had a corner unsupported. A cat (nickname: The Incredible Bulk) walked over it and snapped the corner off. Replace components in reverse order.

Status
Not open for further replies.