Chimney sweeping do or don't?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smirnov3

Feeling the Heat
Feb 7, 2006
Eastern Ma
I am just wondering if I should have a professional chimney sweep clean out my pellet stove flue?

I shake / scoop out all the ash at the bottom of the flue once or twice a season, but that's the extent of my cleaning. The ash seems very dry & powdery, so I am not certain if I need any more than that.

What do you guys think?

I run a brush thru my vent after every ton burned(or there abouts). Tapping and banging isn't going to get all the stuff stuck in there out. One day you will come home and the stove will be burning very badly. The stuff in the pipe will fall into your tee and plug the vent. Then you will say "I wish I had my vent cleaned out!" and we will say "We told you so!" :)

Seriously, Have it brushed out and be there to see how much actually comes out. You will be surprised!

When I service a stove I always do the liner or vent as part of the job. That said, hiring a chimney sweep to just do the liner is a waste of money IMHO. It's really very easy if the set up is accessible. If you are so inclined, you can do it yourself with a dryer vent cleaning tool. They sell kits at Lowes. You will be amazed at what gets trapped in that flex liner, I always am.

Yeah, I run a brush through the bottom 5 feet or so (after the first 2 feet, it's all straight up the chimney - the banging / shaking is to knock anything that's higher up down) that's what I meant by 'scoop out'

but all I get is dry ash. I had just been wondering if that's all there was, of there was some tarry gook that had to be cleaned out once in a while (yes, I know pellet stoves don't produce creosote - I was just being thorough.

I have 27 feet of Liner gong up my Chimney. I have had a Chimney Sweep do it for the last couple of years. Gets a little over a Coffee Can (3 1/2 tons burned). BUT he has increased his charge $40 last time($180) to do it. Maybe thinking about buying my own Brush and extensions. Seen them for around $80 with 18feet of Handle. Probably a lot cheaper.

Get the Lint Eater brush... it's amazing what it knocks out of the pipe... especially if you have any bends in there. Or cruise this site for vent cleaners... Someone else had a brush that had a 20 ft extension on it for about $16 online. Didn't see what the shipping charge was on it.

Just an added note. I've got about a 15 foot straight run up and work a brush up but
I've always found the majority of the stuff to be within the first 50%
of the vent. To stay OT I'll echo everyones sentiments and say yeah
get yourself the tools and DIY. Not to difficult and a ya save some bux.

OK, I have a quad cb1200i.. burned about a ton in its first year, firebox, exchange tubes cleaned throughly every 4 bags or so. Before the season gets going I want to clean it really well once more, including the vent pipe.

I have about a 25ft vent pipe running straight up the existing chimney.. I will buy a lint eater to clean the pipe.. Question: Can I run up from th bottom using my vacuum to catch what comes down? Or do I really have to go from the roof and sweep down?

Thanks for the advice.

That is exactly what I do... bottom up, and mine goes up about 14 ft, with two 45 degree bends in it. Vacuum hose follows the brush in the first foot to keep the soot under control.

I was going to buy a Lint Eater but after my little fire, I found that I can remove the whole thing in 5 minutes. That will be my ticket for major cleaning. I just did the leaf blower thing and that should do me for my ever ton cleaning...That plus removing the diffuser and cleaning it real good :)

Chan

Status
Not open for further replies.