chimney vibration

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nrcrash

Apr 17, 2012
MA
After I fire up my Vigas 40, while flue temp is increasing between 220- 270 degrees (approximately). I get a deep humming sound. I installed a barometric damper because I though this would help but it continues to do it. Wasn't sure if this was normal if it is something I should be concerned with.....

Humming?

Or rumbling?

Gassification produces a rumble - I kind of like it. :)

(That's the way it is here - so I hope it's normal...)
I've gotten a similar sound. I always thought it was right around when gasification starts. BUT... in my case I thought it was from the cardboard I'm using (wife's business generates a ton) was really roaring.

don't know

JP

I've had what I think you're describing. Happens on startup when there's a vigorous fire in the upper chamber and you switch to downdraft operation. I *think* what's happening is the flame front is switching from above the nozzle to below the nozzle, back and forth. This gets the air column in the chimney vibrating like a giant pipe organ. Not a gasification rumble - more like the helicopter of doom hovering over your chimney.

Increasing fan speed and/or primary air seems to solve it in my case.

I liked the Helo of doom thing.............. LOL great explination!

TS

Status
Not open for further replies.