Christmas Gift for the Pellet Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tchdngrnby

Oct 7, 2009
Puget Sound Washington
Decided to spend the afternoon tearing down the stove and giving it a good deep cleaning. Bought the stove used so I had no idea of how much previous burning had been done. I used the advice that was given on this forum and cleaned the vent, fan, fire box, heat exchanger tubes, ash traps, ran a bottle brush up the traps, and then vacuumed up the gross amounts of ash that I pulled down. Then gave it the leaf blower trick..... Needless to say I was glad the neighbors were not home!!! I also used a small rubber mallet to tap the vent plenums to see what else I could get out of it as well as opening and closing the door and ash pan door.... Prior to the cleaning I had run about 1.5 tons of Clean Burn and Atlas pellets through the stove and for the most part there did not appear to much more than a lite layer of ash. No creosote at all. So far so good.... The stove is happy and its time for me to have a "boilermaker"!

One thing I have learded in doing my PM's is that in order to remove the shaker plate, I have to put the St. Croix on the #1 setting and then keep an eye on the cam lobe on the shaker plate shaft. Once it rotates to the full "back" position, I simply unplugged the stove and let it cool. The plate lifts right out without having to fight the collar on the igniter. I keep a spare shaker plate for my weekly PM. I take the dirty plate to the garage and take a wire wheel to it, clean the holes with a drill bit, spray it down with WD-40, and wipe it down, and its ready for the next change out. This saves me a little time in getting the stove back online.

Merry Christmas to All!

Paul V

Hope the rest of the family is as happy for the holidays as that stove must be :wow: One suggestion, skip the WD-40, it gets burned up, but could be a residue problem. It is really not a "high temp" lubricant, and may actually add to the build up on the burn pot.

Not using the WD-40 as a lubricant. Just using it to hose down the plate after cleaning it with the wire wheel and drill bit. Have not noticed any extra build up using WD-40 in this fashion. I have noted more build up using Manke Clean Burn pellets vs. the Atlas ultra premium brand. Using the Clean Burns, I had clinkers stuck on the side of the burn pot that I had to chip off with a small chisel. Before this cleaning, I used Atlas for 10 days and no clinkers at all....also the amount of ash in the pan was a lot less. Ash pan was only about half full after 10 days of burning.... Don't usually let it go that long before a PM....got busy with the christmas stuff besides having to work last week. I think you know how it goes!

Status
Not open for further replies.