Christmas is coming and I need a new camera...what do you suggest?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My 6 year old Canon PowerShot s410 is on its last legs. The lcd screen is wonky (scribbly?) but since there is still a viewfinder I can take reasonable shots. Compared to what is on the market today, the shots are reasonable (not great for lowlight and grainy).

My friend takes excellent pictures but it is with an SLR. I am not ready for that route and I need something that fits in my pocket. I have been eyeing the Canon s95 for its ability to take great pics (including lowlight) and record HD and excellent reviews but it is pricey and I am not sure that it is more camera than I need.

With the annual Christmas Eve photo of the kids coming up, I am beginning to feel pressured. I don't want to go out and buy a cheap camera as I like to keep my technology for as long as possible. I really hate that what you buy today is outdated tomorrow. What is your camera and do you like it?

I ADORE this camera:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

I got it in August of last year, and you cannot take a bad picture with it. It's pretty much just point and shoot, and the zoom is amazing. Here are some samples:

480b13b0.jpg

6ab9312e.jpg

8e4cc58c.jpg

5d92c547.jpg

a483ed35.jpg

~Rose

I think you should look at Jotul , just kidding. I bought my wife a Kodak easyshare 14 megapixel 26 zoom. Its wrapped in my closest for Christmas. Looked good to me. Her old one couldn't zoom in well at all.

I use a Canon SX100IS, now 3 years old. It is brilliant with a 10x optical zoom, but still small enough to fit into a pocket. Takes 2 standard AA batteries, so no worries if yours run low, easy to get replacements if you forget your charger. I have taken quite a few wildlife shots with it and never had any problems. I think it has been replaced by the updated SX210 model which has a more powerful zoom lens.

The first two below were close ups, and the bottom one of a fawn was taken out in a coppice using the zoom lens on max........

StagBeetle.jpg

Anacamptispyramidalis.jpg

Fawn.jpg

woodchip said:
I use a Canon SX100IS, now 3 years old. It is brilliant with a 10x optical zoom, but still small enough to fit into a pocket. Takes 2 standard AA batteries, so no worries if yours run low, easy to get replacements if you forget your charger. I have taken quite a few wildlife shots with it and never had any problems. I think it has been replaced by the updated SX210 model which has a more powerful zoom lens.
I also have a Canon SX100 IS. Well over 20,000 pictures taken with it so far and still going strong. Bought my wife the newer replacement which was the SX120 IS. The current replacement is SX130 IS and is selling at Walmart for under $200.

As far as I'm concerned, the best everyday take on a hike go out in the woods put it in your pocket camera for the money is the SX130 IS. And it now has a 12x optical zoom! You won't be disappointed.

Just came home from Walmart and the SX130 IS is down to $179. They also had the SX30 IS (I have it's older brother SX20 IS), which is a very nice camera with 20x optical zoom, although too big to fit in a pocket, but it is $400.

I've been a fan of the Sony Cybershots for a long time. I bought the DSC-TX5 over the summer. It's waterproof, freezeproof and shockproof, takes great photos and hd video at 720p. Also has a nifty panorama function.

The TX1 is cheaper, but essentially the same camera, just not water/freeze/shockproof. Then there's the more expensive TX-7 which takes better video and audio, larger lcd, etc. Finally, there's the TX9 that takes 3D pictures, if it's been released. Reasonable in price. I think BestBuy recently had the TX1 at about $200. Check www.buydig.com for whatever camera you buy. Bought both the Sony and a Nikon DSLR through them.

Only problem with these digital cameras that support video is finding enough storage on your computer hard drive, and figuring out how to back up all your memories.

drewmo said:
I've been a fan of the Sony Cybershots for a long time. I bought the DSC-TX5 over the summer. It's waterproof, freezeproof and shockproof, takes great photos and hd video at 720p. Also has a nifty panorama function.

The TX1 is cheaper, but essentially the same camera, just not water/freeze/shockproof. Then there's the more expensive TX-7 which takes better video and audio, larger lcd, etc. Finally, there's the TX9 that takes 3D pictures, if it's been released. Reasonable in price. I think BestBuy recently had the TX1 at about $200. Check www.buydig.com for whatever camera you buy. Bought both the Sony and a Nikon DSLR through them.

Only problem with these digital cameras that support video is finding enough storage on your computer hard drive, and figuring out how to back up all your memories.

+1 on the cyber shot

smokinjay said:
drewmo said:

+1 on the cyber shot

+2

+3 I have a W300 that i have been very happy with. Came recomended to me by someone tho works on cameras for a living. I have always liked the cybershot lineup

I like both Canon and Sony for compacts - I have a canon SD 880 IS point and shoot, and love the color...right out of the box!
Sony cameras tend to have nice deep reds and they please the eye!

Enclosed are all from Canon point and shoot......

If you want to step up - to the quality of an SLR, but smaller cam, look at the Sony Nexus 3 and the Olympus micro 4/3 PEN, etc.......the lenses are interchangeable. The cameras have the same or similar sensor (chip that picks up the light) as a semi-pro DSLR.

Attachments

• gc.jpg
    gc.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 154
  • gc2.jpg
    gc2.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 150
  • gc3.jpg
    gc3.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 155
  • gc4.jpg
    gc4.jpg