Christmas Tree Saftey

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GrahamInVa

Minister of Fire
Jun 14, 2011
Eastern, Virginia
With the Christmas season here I wanted to remind everyone to be careful with live Christmas trees. A dry tree can burn up you home really quickly.

Merry Christmas!

Scary video..

http://youtu.be/ZLHhG65fLeY

My Wife and I have our own tree and the Kids (10yr old boy and 6 month old girl) have there own tree (smaller tree in Pellet stove /Dining room). We switched to Artificial trees after the house fire. One less thing to worry about.

Good call though. Always better to be safe than sorry...... Fahrenheit is on tonight. So the Quad sits idle and Cold......

Attachments

• trees.jpg
    trees.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 452
We've had an artificial tree for years. The wife told me she wanted to get a real tree this year. I explained to her that it will probably drop every needle within a week since it would be 5 feet from a roaring Mt. Vernon insert. :)

Stopped doing real trees years ago.

We have a nice 11 foot or so one we bought for the living when we moved in here. It will go up over the next week.

I have a small one for my den that is up but not lit or decorated yet.

Since the grand daughter is past the touchy feely stage we can use our old ornaments without worrying about someone cutting themselves up real good.

We started decorating the place the end of November.

I turned on the lights on December 1.

We went to an artificial tree long ago. They have improved a lot, so we got one of the new ones that looks so real. Wife and I couldn't move fast enough if there ever was a fire so we need to do everything we can not to have one. We have a small tree in the living room and a reg. size one in the family room where there is a family gathering at Christmas eve. Our living room tree is decorated with framed ornament pictures of all our family members. The oldest ones and ones past on at the top near the Angle, then down the tree to the bottom where all the little ones are. The tree rotates. Everyone gets a kick out of this tree and always looks to find their pictures. That one we call our family tree.

We've always kept it real here. Just keep it watered and take it down the day after New Year's.

buying something thats dead just dont make sense to me
kind of offsets all the pellet saivngs

We still get fresh cuts from the local tree farm. Don't put it up until the last minute and its down by the 1st of January. No more than 2 weeks in the tree stand.

When my son gets a bit older we'll get us a nice "fake" tree if there is such a thing. Might be hard for the O'lady to get used too????

I like getting a real tree. Going out into the woods with the family and making it a tradition for us. An artificial tree would be easier and a whole lot cleaner though. But, life is short and Christmas comes once a year so what the heck. Hope everyone has a safe and Merry Christmas, even you guys that don't put anything up.

I too have always gone out to get a tree. FS cutting permit is only $5 and a trip to the snowy woods is fun for all, and like PJ, a long time, family tradition.

Spin-off benefit is the removal of ladder fuels from over stocked stands prevent wildfire from getting into the crowns of mature trees resulting in stand destruction.

LED lights are safe and energy efficient, so there is little if any risk of fire.

We have always had a real tree. Several years ago I found a tree farm in the mountains that had Fraser Firs. Which are my favorite. We now make a weekend out of it. Head for the hills and cuter down.. Feel like Clark Griswold. Since we cut it down fresh, it never drys out like the ones we use to get. It went up the Sunday after Thanksgiving and will stay up till after the new year. We got a big one this year, it's 9 1/2' tall.

I feel more comfortable with the pellet stove vs. a wood stove or fireplace.

GrahamInVa said:
We have always had a real tree. Several years ago I found a tree farm in the mountains that had Fraser Firs. Which are my favorite. We now make a weekend out of it. Head for the hills and cuter down.. Feel like Clark Griswold. Since we cut it down fresh, it never drys out like the ones we use to get. It went up the Sunday after Thanksgiving and will stay up till after the new year. We got a big one this year, it's 9 1/2' tall.

Keep it watered and away from the heat and you'll be just fine. You never know when the ones you buy were cut and they definitely do not get watered until you get them home at the earliest.

Back when I was a cub we used to get one from a farmer who cut them for sale and after he got to the point it was too much for him, he gave us permission to cut our own. That was decades ago.

SmokeyTheBear said:
GrahamInVa said:

Keep it watered and away from the heat and you'll be just fine. You never know when the ones you buy were cut and they definitely do not get watered until you get them home at the earliest.

Back when I was a cub

there were no trees yet

oldmountvernon said:
ironpony said:
buying something thats dead just dont make sense to me
kind of offsets all the pellet saivngs

Im not eating any steak over your house :) I dont like my dinner Moo'n at me

only moos till you cut it

those trips getting a real tree were fun. For us, it was going out in the woods and getting one. Nice pic of the family tree with the kids. Hope others will share some of their family tree pics.
On the light side of things, I recently saw a FB posting of a home lighted with thousands of lights. Next to it was a home with only big words outlined in lights which read, "Ditto"

Status
Not open for further replies.