CL ad for $80 a cord?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spur0701

Jun 12, 2008
Southern Maryland
So an ad popped up on my local CL yesterday for firewood......"oak, maple, hickory, locust and pine. 80.00 per cord". I'm sure it's probably really green and mostly pine...but if it's a true cord how much of the cord would have to be pine for it not to be worth it?

IF it is really a cord, then it is a good deal even for pine. The price of a cord varies geographically, but I think $80 for a real cord is way below going rate anywhere you are.

Good price if it stacks up to atleast 3/4 cord.

So the young man returned my call and said it was mostly hickory with some pine in it, all is standing dead and he was cutting it as we spoke.....but it's not split and is in the round, and it is a full cord 4X4X8...he'll charge $20 to deliver it by the trailer load...so $100 a cord delivered. How is a Friskars on hickory? I don't think I've ever split any.

Hydraulics work great on hickory.

Backwoods Savage said:
Hydraulics work great on hickory.

Ahhh......hydraulics work great on anything but my problem is I don't have any hydraulics.......just a couple of punk kids that will be home for the holidays......

you can split wood with a Wii ? :)

I've never split anything but hickory and oak. That's all I have around here. How big are the rounds? Fiskars should handle it. Might take a couple extra whacks, depending on the length of the rounds.
Consider recutting the rounds into half the current length for north/south burning. That will make the splitting easier. One thing I've found... the longer I've let my hickory rounds sit, the harder it is to split.

But if you can get a real cord of hickory for $80 I'd get at least two. It takes a good while to season so split it small and you might be ready in a year, most likely two. But it will never season in the rounds.

Kenster said:
I've never split anything but hickory and oak. That's all I have around here. How big are the rounds? Fiskars should handle it. Might take a couple extra whacks, depending on the length of the rounds.
Consider recutting the rounds into half the current length for north/south burning. That will make the splitting easier. One thing I've found... the longer I've let my hickory rounds sit, the harder it is to split.

Thanks for the advice, appreciate it.......

I burn a lot of bitternut hickory. I also split it by hand. Hickory isn't really that hard to split, I think boxelder, sugar maple are much more difficult to split. I usually let them season a good year before burning though.

Status
Not open for further replies.