CL add for free firewood near Newburgh, NY

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaugust124

Feeling the Heat
Feb 14, 2010
Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
Just saw this ad on the local craigslist.
Too far for me to travel, but could be a jackpot for somebody.

http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/zip/2372124132.html

Free Firewood (Newburgh/ New Windsor)
Date: 2011-05-09, 10:17PM EDT
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]
I have maple, oak, hickory, ash, and locust firewood (cut to size) at several locations in the newburgh and new windsor area. I do tree work and am not in the firewood business. All I ask is that that only serious people that are available to pick up the wood inquire. I will not deliver. No emails. Serious individuals call Pat at (845)401-5593. Please no phone calls after 10pm. Can turn into a regular thing for the right guy. Thank you.

* it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

If I wasnt halfway down the coast Id be flipping over this compared to the "35 free pine trees, you cut, you haul, you clean" ad's that I get around here!

I saw that yesterday. That area is around one hour from me, just outside what I would consider reasonable distance. If I didn't have almost 2 1/2 years worth of wood on my property, that would change. I actually hooked up with a tree service back in January of '10 that has almost unlimited wood about 15 miles from me, but have only taken about 3/4 cord so far. I have stumbled across so much wood within a mile or two that it just hasn't paid to make the longer trip for his wood. I stay in touch and he still tells me to come any time. This could be a great deal for somebody.

Flatbedford,
I ran into the same deal as you with a local tree service who did some work for me before I got my stove. The wood is just across town. They dump on an empty lot and the owner gave me a key to get into the property any time I want. Heck of a nice guy.
I haven't even gone there yet this year, because like you, there has been so much easy scrounging even closer to home that I haven't had the need. This past winter was my first year burning and I figure I went through only 1 1/2 cords at the most, burning part time. Right now I'm working on at least the 2013/14 wood and by Fall I should be ready for at least 2014/15, unless of course I dramatically increase my wood consumption. I do dream of a second stove...

Status
Not open for further replies.