CL - novel idea, firewood by the lb

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slow1

Minister of Fire
Nov 26, 2008
Eastern MA
Interesting posting...

==========

Fire Wood 1000lbs - $100 (Medford)

Date: 2010-12-07, 7:36PM EST
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]

My husband has just cut down a very large tree from our back yard that was going to fall onto our neighbors anyday. There is at least 1000lbs there. First person with $100 takes it all!

Pick up only.

Merry Christmas!

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

Did he weight it? 1000lbs is less than 1/2 cord of anything, but the lightest softwood.

Sounds like an estimation but apparently they don't even know what kind of wood it is. To most folks, wood is wood. It comes from trees. End of knowledge.

Flatbedford said:
Did he weight it? 1000lbs is less than 1/2 cord of anything, but the lightest softwood.

As I read this posting all I could picture was this guy getting on a scale with bucked up wood and yelling "This one's 3 pounds" to his wife who is adding them all up in a ledger book. ;)

Backwoods Savage said:
Sounds like an estimation but apparently they don't even know what kind of wood it is. To most folks, wood is wood. It comes from trees. End of knowledge.

and they manage to stay warm.

The problem with selling by weight is the imposed dilema for the seller to season the wood.

They sell by the ton in some other countries- but often that is measured by putting it in a standard bin of sorts. If it's wet- it weighs more and is higher volume. You're more screwed on the weight side though.

if it's the first time they cut down a tree they're probably just surprised by how much a tree actually weighs.

If it fell in the pool they might have been surprised by how much water it displaces and there could have been a cubic inch reference.

Who knows, maybe they work for UPS or in a shipping department somewhere.

My guess is that it weighs far more than they think - but then again, who knows - maybe it is a dinky little tree and they have moved it and just are thinking "wow that must weigh like 1000 lbs!"

Slow1 said:
My guess is that it weighs far more than they think - but then again, who knows - maybe it is a dinky little tree and they have moved it and just are thinking "wow that must weigh like 1000 lbs!"
lol, that's exactly what I was thinking. IMO it isn't a really big tree if there is only 1000lbs...

Hmmm . . . I'm thinking maybe I should e-mail them and ask how many kilograms of wood this is . . . since my stove was originally manufactured in Norway I think it can only take wood measured in kilograms and not pounds. ;) :)

firefighterjake said:
Hmmm . . . I'm thinking maybe I should e-mail them and ask how many kilograms of wood this is . . . since my stove was originally manufactured in Norway I think it can only take wood measured in kilograms and not pounds. ;) :)

What, you think that was perhaps a Norway Maple that they felled?

Slow1 said:
firefighterjake said:

I hope so . . . that's all I've been burning in my woodstove from Norway . . . and I've made sure to cut all the Norway maple up in centimeters . . . didn't realize I am going about this all wrong and should have been weighing my wood and going by kilograms. D'oh.

No Climate Orbiters or Peace Prizes for you ....

firefighterjake said:
Slow1 said:
firefighterjake said:

I hope so . . . that's all I've been burning in my woodstove from Norway . . . and I've made sure to cut all the Norway maple up in centimeters . . . didn't realize I am going about this all wrong and should have been weighing my wood and going by kilograms. D'oh.

Careful - Norway Maple and Norway Spruce are both from Norway, but Norway Pine is not and could cause serious problems, I imagine. I tried cutting up my last Norway Maple by centimeters, but my saw is american so I couldn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.