Classic Bay 1200 Won't Light - Help???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gman12

Sep 16, 2011
Rutland, MA
I went to start it up and can hear the fan going but it won't light. Been trying for 35 mins. Even the red light doesn't come on like it's suppose to or even feed any of the pellets. How can I fix it?

Yes. It's hooked up to a corded one. Tried the wires both ways on the back. It says one of the things to check is the snap disc #3 reset button. Should I try that or what do you suggest. I'm frustrated it's not working.

Yeah, You can check snap disc #3. Its on the auger tube.

Next I'd try the vacuum hose to see if its plugged. If the blower is starting but doesn't show vacuum. It will not feed pellets. Pull of the hose from the switch and blow air into it(back to the stove).

There should be some lights on you can see on the control box.

You said the 'red' light didn't come on as usual. Are you talking the Call Light that normally comes on when the thermostat calls for heat? If so, disconnect the thermostat wires and put a jumper wire between the two terminals to see if the light comes on. That would tell you if the thermostat is sending a signal. I went to start mine last week and although my thermostat still showed temp readings evidently it didn't have enough battery left to close the contact to tell the stove to start! New batteries solved the problem.
You said your combustion fan came on but did you just plug the stove in?

If the snap disc #3 is tripped, how to I reset it? We opened up where it is but didn't know what to do. Sorry, I'm very new and unexperienced in this. Thank you for your help in this. I'm also going to check the vacuum hose also. It could be just the motor that started when I plugged it in but eventually goes off around 10 minutes or so.

Gman12 said:
If the snap disc #3 is tripped, how to I reset it? We opened up where it is but didn't know what to do. Sorry, I'm very new and unexperienced in this. Thank you for your help in this. I'm also going to check the vacuum hose also. It could be just the motor that started when I plugged it in but eventually goes off around 10 minutes or so.

There is a button between the two terminals on the snap disk. Push it in. Make sure power is unplugged since there is 110 volts there! Change those batteries first!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm going to let tj take over. He is a wiz-bang with these Quads. I was hoping one of the quad guys would come along(whew).

tj, my next step was the thermo stat jumper and if that didn't go. I was going to have him unplug and reseat the control box. I got to learn these quads all over again. But just in case your watching football. How would I have done?

Gman12 your in good hands now!

j-takeman said:
I'm going to let tj take over. He is a wiz-bang with these Quads. I was hoping one of the quad guys would come along(whew).

tj, my next step was the thermo stat jumper and if that didn't go. I was going to have him unplug and reseat the control box. I got to learn these quads all over again. But just in case your watching football. How would I have done?

Ha ha ha. wise guy!!!! NCIS night tonight!!!!! I lead a rough life. Yep, you're on the right track. I just had a hunch that he just plugged it in and that was why the fan was going. Second hunch is the batteries since this appears to be the first start for the season.

tjnamtiw said:
j-takeman said:

Ha ha ha. wise guy!!!! NCIS night tonight!!!!! I lead a rough life. Yep, you're on the right track. I just had a hunch that he just plugged it in and that was why the fan was going. Second hunch is the batteries since this appears to be the first start for the season.

I'll get as good as you and dex(and the other quad guys) one of these days! Keeping ya on you toes. hehe

Thanks for taking over. ;-)

TJ, What batteries need to be replaced that your talking about? I had no idea that spot by the snap disc 3 had batteries in there.

Thanks for your help J.

Gman12 said:
TJ, What batteries need to be replaced that your talking about? I had no idea that spot by the snap disc 3 had batteries in there.

Thanks for your help J.
Sorry for the confusion. The batteries in your thermostat.... I was referring to my other post...

Do you have a wired thermostat? Or a wireless battery operated unit?

Next question would be.. Is it actually feeding pellets? Or no? Does it drop any into the burn pot at start up??

As far as the "light" you speak of.... Is it the Red call for heat light in the stoves control panel??

Sorry so late to the games fellas.... Busy night.. and Jay.. You do an awesome job. No matter the make or model.

He said it was a wired thermostat, hence the suspicion of dead batteries since mine were, Dex!!!! %-P He never did answer me on the red light question. Yep, Jay can fix anything!
I think Gman went to bed. :)

tjnamtiw said:
He said it was a wired thermostat, hence the suspicion of dead batteries since mine were, Dex!!!! %-P He never did answer me on the red light question. Yep, Jay can fix anything!

Bed .....?

I dont know what sleep is....
Staying on track.

I was given a "wired" unit with my Quad. It was a Standard wall T-stat and required no batteries. Thats why I asked.

It would be nice if its something simple..

DexterDay said:
tjnamtiw said:

Bed .....?

I dont know what sleep is....
Staying on track.

I was given a "wired" unit with my Quad. It was a Standard wall T-stat and required no batteries. Thats why I asked.

It would be nice if its something simple..

Yea, I have that thermostat sitting in my closet! Forgot about it with everyone on here asking about what thermostat to use. There I go ASSuming again. I'm still hoping for a simple solution. How many people have posted on here with problems starting up after the summer? A lot!!! Unbelievable. It's always hard to know what condition they left the stove in at the end of the season. His combustion fan worked when he plugged the stove in so it's not dead. If it is the call light not coming on, then .........

DEX and TJ:

1. I have a wired thermostat. I don't see anywhere it takes batteries. It seems to be maybe missing the back to it, but not sure if that is how it's made. I posted a pic of it below.

2. It isn't even feeding pellets at all. It doesn't drop them in the burn pot either.

3. Yes, the res light on the right side of stove never comes on. Its located near the 2 switches for heat and fan settings. I've posted a pic also below of it.

**I did buy this stove from a guy on craigslist and this is the first time starting it up, He did turn it on while I was there at his house but didn't have pellets to put in to show me the burning and feed process.**

Thank you both for helping me try to get this going. I hope you will continue to help me so I can get this working. What should I try first reagrding fixing this? Should I try to reset the snap disc #3 and does it matter which way the thermostat needs to be plugged on the back of stove? I've tried both ways alternating the prongs.

Attachments

• stove switch.jpg
    stove switch.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 464
  • thermostat2.jpg
    thermostat2.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 402
  • thermostat1.jpg
    thermostat1.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 424
With the stove off, cold and unplugged, remove the control module, then put it back, plug the stove back in and turn it on, please tell us every light in the module that lights up.

The stove was moved and installed in a new location, loose things stop stoves ....

Do you know where that is located on the stove and I'll do that and see what I get for lights?

If it had no pellets in it. Then it is necessary to press the reset button a few times to "prime" the auger. If it s a simple fix. Then that should be it. It may be a bad thermostat also. You csn take a small wire and run it from one terminal to the other (jumper wire) and this will make the stove start without a T stat. The red light should come on. Then press reset about once a minute until pellets drop in the pot.

Can you emty the hopper a little to verify if the auger is spinning?

I'll empty it out now and see if auger spins. Do I press the reset button while checking if auger working? also should the fan switch be up or down while starting? I have the heat to max and the fan on. Should I do the control box check first or snap disc #3 reset? I don't have any small wire to run to terminal to the other. That thermostat has to be plugged in no matter what to start it except for method you said with a small wire?

I think the only thing I can hear is the fan or blower when it first turns on. I don't believe I even hear the auger spinning or anything. We did fill the hopper full of pellets before starting it. The light still isn't coming on.

The fan switch is for the convection fan (room air blower). If the stove is off and cool you might as well check everything 1st. Control Box, Snap Disc, Etc..

If you turn the thermostat all the way up and nothing is happening. No Red call light, No blowers running. It could be the fuse. There is a fuse near the control panel.

You can download an owners manula from the internet. In PDF form. This will take you through the 1st fire sequence and explain hitting the reset button. If the red call light is not on. Then hitting reset will do nothing. Because the stove is not getting a call for heat and will not start up.

Can you cut a 3 inch piece of wire off of one of the thermostat wires. 3" shorter and gonna hurt it. That would eliminate the thermostat being bad. As soon as you connect the jumper from one terminal to the other (thermostat removed) the stove should go into the call for heat and start the start up procedure. From there it may ne necessary to press reset a couple more times. As the auger only spins for so long. To dump the required amount of pellets for startup. Though the stove does not know if its feeding pellets or not. So press the button until you see/hear pellets. Then press it one final time snd let it dump the pellets. It will yske a minute before you see smoke. It will smoke until the pellets ignite. Then the stove will continue to run until it gets up to temperature. Then the convectio.convection blower will kick on and start blowing heat through the tubes.

Gman12 said:
I think the only thing I can hear is the fan or blower when it first turns on. I don't believe I even hear the auger spinning or anything. We did fill the hopper full of pellets before starting it. The light still isn't coming on.

Is this when you plug it in? The combustion blower will come on for 18 min everytime its plugged in..

Or is the blower coming on when you turn up/on the thermostat. After it has already been plugged into power for awhile?

Do you have good connection to the terminals? Its the 2 center terminals. There are 4. Use the middle 2. The outside 2 are to hold the block onto the back of the stove.

Ok, I'll try. It's when I first turn the stove on that I hear the fan or blower. Doesn't do anything with the thermostat when I turn it up or down. Then the stove just shuts off after a while I had been pressing the reset again. Where exactly do I wrap those wires in the back of stove I cut off of the thermostat wire? I did have them hooked into the middle ones. Can I turn on the stove and keep control box cover off to look at lights and patterns?

Status
Not open for further replies.