Cleaned chimney for the first time

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jacobk

Sep 2, 2011
MN
I installed my stove about a month ago and have had a fire almost every night after work and reloaded most mornings before work. I cleaned it tonight for the first time and got about a 1/4 of a cup of dry flakes. It looked almost like black sugar. I cleaned it from the bottom up using a coffee can for a soot catcher. It fit perfect around the 6in pipe. Cut a hole in the bottom of the can and put a pvc pipe adapter in the hole to put the rod through and keep the soot from falling out. It took about 10 minutes from start to finish.

A quarter cup doesn't sound like much to me. I'd say your burning pretty clean. Were you able to see down through the pipe to see if it looks nice and clean?

I just put my new 6" insulated liner in at the end of August. I've been burning just at night for about 3 weeks. I guess I'll wait a while to check mine. I've got a new medium duty poly brush to try out on it. Sounds like the coffee can deal would work good. I think I'll save one for the occaision. Happy draffting!!

Sounds like you have good wood & are burning it well.
Alway pays to check monthly. Yours is burning pretty clean.

jacobk said:
I installed my stove about a month ago and have had a fire almost every night after work and reloaded most mornings before work. I cleaned it tonight for the first time and got about a 1/4 of a cup of dry flakes. It looked almost like black sugar. I cleaned it from the bottom up using a coffee can for a soot catcher. It fit perfect around the 6in pipe. Cut a hole in the bottom of the can and put a pvc pipe adapter in the hole to put the rod through and keep the soot from falling out. It took about 10 minutes from start to finish.

Excellent....but please tell more about the coffee can adapter...a pic would be great.

Sounds like you're doing well.

I was kind of surprised there was not more. It is my first year and I started cutting in August but only cut the fallen or dead standing trees. Most of the bark was off the trees already.

Embers, I never went onto the roof I did everything from inside. I looked up the pipe before I cleaned but forgot to look up after to see if I could tell the difference between before and after.

James I got a few pictures to explain it a little better. The first picture is inside the can with the adapter in. We put tape around it to help seal the hole a little better.
The second Picture is the bottom of the can with the adapter for the rod to go through.
Third picture is the can on a spare piece of 6 in pipe I had laying around. It fits on the crimped end but not on the non crimped side.
Fourth picture is the adapter we used. The threaded side on the outside and pushed the barbed end through the bottom.

During cleaning I did not notice any soot coming out of the can and we didn't even have to hold it up there it was tight enough to stay by itself.

Attachments

• 100_0060.jpg
    100_0060.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 202
  • 100_0061.jpg
    100_0061.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 217
  • 100_0066.jpg
    100_0066.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 211
  • 100_0062.jpg
    100_0062.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 224
Hey Jacobk, Good idea with the can. My rig will be easier to clean out going top down. My stove is pretty tedious to hook up to the T back in the fireplace but, I'll probably just reach back with the screw gun and take the cap off the cleanout and stick the coffee can up on it and brush down into it. Should work good with a few short boards shimming the can up just right.

Maybe I'll try a Food City "Master Blend" since I'm on the cheap stuff. Ha ha!!

It's getting down to 29 here tonight. Shouldn't have any trouble with cooking myself out of the living room tonight.

Have a good one.

Jacob, that's awesome...should patten that!...

Status
Not open for further replies.