Cleaned mine today.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shtrdave

Feeling the Heat
Feb 13, 2012
SW PA
It ran out of fuel this morning so before filling and turning back on i figured I should clean it once, since the ash pan was getting close to being full. The dealer said it only needs cleaned when the pan gets full.

I regularly scrape the burn pot and wipe the glass, so today I turned the stove to test and started brushing and scraping the ash into the pan and brushing the inside of the top (heat exchanger?) got all of that knocked down and then took out the pan and cleaned the fins on the blower wheel and ran the long brush through the exhaust to clean off the sensor, and vacuumed it all out . Also took the plate off the bottom of the burnpot, where the ignitor is located and vacuumed it out also.

So did I miss anything?

The Combustion blower would not turn off when I was ready to clean it even though it was off before I started and came on when I turn the stove to test mode, I had to unplug the stove to get it to turn off.

All in all not such a bad job, I do need to look for a better vacuum, I have a Rigid 16 Gal shop vac, and the hose and attachments are to big to get into the little cracks and crevices.

If you let the stove run out of fuel the blowers will turn off. I just turn it to the off then unplug for cleaning. You did basically what I do but in detail cleanings dont forget to get behind the stove fine a nut under the auger and losen to remove the wood dust collected.

Your combustion blower would still be running if your stove hadn't cooled down enough before you started cleaning. As for as coming on when you put it in test mode, that's what its for. And I don't buy into only cleaning when the ash pan is full.

I will have to look for this nut thing to clean the dust out, and for the blower it did come on when I turned to test but it would not shut off when I turned it off test and the stove had not been running for over 3 hours, so I could not figure out why it would not turn off.

It didn't seem that dirty but then I never cleaned one before, so what do I know.

The nut is behind the control board. Take off the shield on that side and you'll see the wing nut. Do some neck stretches and take some ibuprofen first. It can be a pain. Make sure you latch the cover over the top before you button her up.

The dealers comment sounds like a sale pitch to me. Technically he's correct but a clean stove is more efficient.

I will have to look for this nut thing to clean the dust out, and for the blower it did come on when I turned to test but it would not shut off when I turned it off test and the stove had not been running for over 3 hours, so I could not figure out why it would not turn off.

It didn't seem that dirty but then I never cleaned one before, so what do I know.

If you still had the door open, it would continue to run. The fines box is on the left hand side looking from the rear. Look for the big wing nut. The cover to mine is stainless.

i have a p68, and some times I get the auger whistle sound, so when cleaning my stove, I bent a long thin screwdriver so that I can really get all the carbon build up in the auger tube. You may never have the "famous" whistle, but if you ever hear that annoying sound it's most likely coming from your auger tube. Now i've just made cleaning it part of my normal cleaning of any Harman.

Status
Not open for further replies.