Cleaning a firebox, etc.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shari

Minister of Fire
Oct 31, 2008
Wisconsin
Cleaning day is soon to be upon me!

We will be doing a hearthmout stove. The sides and backwall of our firebox are metal. The interior floor of the firebox is brick.

I am sitting here trying to figure out how to clean up this area in prep for a hearthmount stove.

I have absolutely no idea what will clean the metal portions of the firebox. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Once I have the metal part of the firebox clean, should I paint it with a high temp paint? Any specific brand of paint?

Also: There is some soot on the stone face of the fireplace. Any suggestions how to clean the stone? Is TSP the only choice here?

Shari
(aka "The Cleaning Lady")

To clean the soot off the metal you can use one of the concoctions they sell for cleaning stove door glass. As to painting, when I put my stove inside the fireplace I just used black 1200 degree barbecue paint from the hardware store to paint the brick firebox. The stove has been cranking in there for three seasons and the paint just sits there and looks black.

TSP is the best thing I know of for getting soot off of bricks.

I have a similar situation. I am having a black/soapstone, Hearthstone Tribute installed in my masonry fireplace. The firebrick is unevenly blackened. In order to appreciate the beauty of the stove, I feel the firebrick needs to be brought back closer to its natural color. So, I'm thinking about cleaning it as best I can with a fireplace cleaner. Then, painting it with a light colored high temp. paint. I'm a little worried about the prep and how well the paint will adhere even if all the soot isn't completely removed. It would be far more noticeable with a light colored paint than black. Has anyone else done this?

Status
Not open for further replies.