cleaning an insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

emmittjames

Oct 29, 2010
central ct
So i've been reading through all of the different threads here about cleaning, and now i am wondering if there is anything special i should know about cleaning an insert stove? We a Greenfire GF55 (i think this is the same as the enviros?) insert. I felt pretty confident about my cleaning it out last winter, but i am getting ready for the big pre-season cleaning. Is there anything special that i need to know about cleaning an insert? am i crazy to not have the dealer do a yearly service? it just seems like a lot of money i could spend on pellets....

If your hands on no reason you can't do it yourself, But if your all thumbs you might want the dealer to do it. If you think you can do it yourself, You need a few things to get started.

Combustion blower gasket.
Vent brush thats longer than the liner length.
A good vacuum(but you probably have on).
The tools you'd use to do your weekly/monthly cleaning.
Something to rest the insert on when you pull it from the fireplace. 2x4's and braces usually work.

UNPLUG the Insert.

Hopefully an insert owner will chime in in case I miss something here(as I am used to freestanders mostly). You will need to slide the insert out enough so that you can get at the tee cap or remove the liner if needed. Depending how far you can slide it out determines if you need to disconnect the pipe from the insert.

Run the brush up the tee cap or liner and have something to catch the ash if it falls. I usually have the vac going to help keep the dust down. Once the liner is clean you turn to the insert. Remove the convection blower and clean and lube it. Then its the combustion blowers turn. While the combustion blower is off clean the blower cavity of ash with vacuum and a brush. Clean the inside of the insert where any dust from the pellets with the vac and a soft brush. Try not to yank any wires. Go easy back there. Reinstall the blowers(don't forget to put on the new combustion blower gasket-easy with that as it rip easy.) Reconnect the tee cap- and or liner and seal as needed. slide the unit back in and do the combustion area like your weekly/monthly cleanings. There should be tips in the manual of whats needed for the end of season-yearly cleaning.

If your able to get to the cap I'd strongly suggest you have a look at it as they tend to get clogged. Another plus would be to bring a leaf blower up there with you and use the vacuum side of it to do the leaf blower trick(search here to find out more).

Hope it helps?

I've got the same stove, just got done doing my own cleaning. Here's a few reminders/tips if it helps you. When sliding the stove out do not go to far or you will bend the flex pipe going up the flue opening. You may not need to purchase the combustion blower gasket if you remove it carefully the first year or so. I was able to take the blower side off the the gasket intake, brush the impellor blade with a soft brush/toothbrush works great. Remove the cleanout t on bottom of flex pipe (buy yourself a lint eater brush with for the length of your flex pipe and run it up the pipe by hand rotating clockwise only up and back down. Have ash vac running at the opening as J-Takeman states as this keeps ash dust in house to minimum.
After you get that done, open the door and remove the 3 brick panels (2 screws on each side of end piece. Vacuum and brush/scrap out the ash thats in there as good as possible, also get a soft/medium small brush to clean out the ash trap holes on back panel. The combustion blower on my unit was very clean so I just lightly vacuumed the inside impellor and didn't remove it. The last thing I did was the Leaf Vac trick and that works great if you don't mind going up the ladder.

I burned almost 3 ton's last year before a thorough cleaning. I did clean/vacuum every couple of days but didn't remove the firebrick panels until after roughly 2 ton's burned. Won't make that mistake again. Now i know how well a clean stove burns, what a difference.

I burned mostly Okie's were are excellent pellet's and burn very clean.
What did you burn for pellets.....and how did you like the stove.
I believe these stoves are the same as the enviro meridians and man do they put out some heat.......feel free to ask me and questions you may have.

jdbell said:
I believe these stoves are the same as the enviro meridians and man do they put out some heat........

You are correct. Meridians have been around some time now and don't hear many negatives on them either!

VistaFlame VF100 is also a Meridian = FYI.

jdbell said:
I've got the same stove, just got done doing my own cleaning. Here's a few reminders/tips if it helps you. When sliding the stove out do not go to far or you will bend the flex pipe going up the flue opening. You may not need to purchase the combustion blower gasket if you remove it carefully the first year or so. I was able to take the blower side off the the gasket intake, brush the impellor blade with a soft brush/toothbrush works great. Remove the cleanout t on bottom of flex pipe (buy yourself a lint eater brush with for the length of your flex pipe and run it up the pipe by hand rotating clockwise only up and back down. Have ash vac running at the opening as J-Takeman states as this keeps ash dust in house to minimum.
After you get that done, open the door and remove the 3 brick panels (2 screws on each side of end piece. Vacuum and brush/scrap out the ash thats in there as good as possible, also get a soft/medium small brush to clean out the ash trap holes on back panel. The combustion blower on my unit was very clean so I just lightly vacuumed the inside impellor and didn't remove it. The last thing I did was the Leaf Vac trick and that works great if you don't mind going up the ladder.

I burned almost 3 ton's last year before a thorough cleaning. I did clean/vacuum every couple of days but didn't remove the firebrick panels until after roughly 2 ton's burned. Won't make that mistake again. Now i know how well a clean stove burns, what a difference.

I burned mostly Okie's were are excellent pellet's and burn very clean.
What did you burn for pellets.....and how did you like the stove.
I believe these stoves are the same as the enviro meridians and man do they put out some heat.......feel free to ask me and questions you may have.

WOW! Thanks for all of this information and help! I truly appreciate it! I probably burned close to 4 tons last year, and i haven't done this thorough a cleaning yet. It looks like i have my weekend work cut out for me. Last year was our first year, and we tried a lot of different pellets. We bought 2 tons of Vermonts, and they were ok, but i don't think i would buy that quantity again. Very ashy. We did burn a small number of Hamer's Hot Ones, and they seemed to give off really good heat. We also burned a bunch of Lowes/Home Depot stuff for the warmer days -- Liked the Green Teams and Stove Chow for the price. Don't all yell at once, but at the moment, I've got nothing. We really don't have storage. I am thinking of buying 2 tons of Hamer's and then 3 tons of cheaper stuff. We have really liked the stove. It does a pretty good job for its small size. We need to fine-tune our airflow systems to get a little more heat upstairs.

tell me more about this lint eater brush. where do i find this?

Thanks J-Takeman! Thanks jdbell!

Just google the "linteater" online to find the best price. I think i paid around 35.00 or so with the extra extension rods as it only came with 12 feet worth. I needed 25 feet. It's made to attach to a drill and rotated/spun as you put it up the flex pipe (4#bristle brush) attached of course. Each 3 foot section screws into the other in clockwise direction, so make sure you only spin it with the drill in clockwise direction on the way in and when removing it also.

As far as pellet choice's.....there's many. Okie's were great but at the top of the price chart. Vermont's were more ash for me to although I believe I should have cleaned my stove much sooner than I did which would have made a difference I'm sure. I also burn LG's softwood and really liked them to.. I'm also looking for a shoulder pellet and I'm curious how these Green Supreme's are going to be with other's here in the forum. Although every stove burns differently. Was looking for some Stove Chow or Somersets but they don't seem to be around my area here in south eastern MA (Taunton).

Anyway....we've got the same stove...if you have any question's and I'm able to help....feel free.

Well, i just ordered my Linteater and extensions. was a lot cheaper online (Amazon!) but i wish i bought it locally so i could use it today! Its going to be 40 here by the end of the week, and i'd like to clean! I have no idea yet how i am going to get to my roof, but i guess i'll just have to work that out. Checked out Lowes yesterday, and they had North American and Maine's Choice. $3.94/bag, $197/ton. $65 delivery, not bad, but i don't know about those brands. Would love to find some Stove Chow. Will head to the Depot today.

Status
Not open for further replies.