cleaning ash with a shop vac

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jpl1nh

Minister of Fire
Jan 25, 2007
Newfields NH
Was reading Elks' closed thread about pulling the 2 stoves outside to clean. Whew, you are one ambitous guy Elk. Todd mentioned using a shop vac outside with a long hose to reach inside and I just wanted to make sure you all knew they make fine particle bags for shop vac that easily contain fly ash. Work like a charm and you can vacum inside with no loose dust flying around. :coolsmile: Also work great for drywall dust and other fine particles though I don't think they are rated for lead removal and fine particle hazardous material.

Yes shop vacs have come a long way from the dust blaster they once were. Using a shop vac for demolition (remodeling) I have put my shop vac through the torture test. It captures the finest dust particles that only a hepa air filter could. When my filter gets full I blow it outside with compressed air and back in it goes.

jpl1nh said:
Todd mentioned using a shop vac outside with a long hose to reach inside and I just wanted to make sure you all knew they make fine particle bags for shop vac that easily contain fly ash. Work like a charm and you can vacum inside with no loose dust flying around. :coolsmile: Also work great for drywall dust and other fine particles though I don't think they are rated for lead removal and fine particle hazardous material.

I use those all the time for other projects. They don't work well enough. At least not for me. You are also on tear away from disaster. But hey, I'm a neat freak.

Status
Not open for further replies.