cleaning chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
murry said:
Any tips or suggesstions of how to clean a masonry chimney with 6 inch clay flu's??

Lowes, Home Depot , Ace Hardware etc. sell brushes and fiberglass rods that work well.. I think it was Lowes or Home Depot that sold rods in a 6 pack for less $$.. Usually the brush has a loop so you can attach rope and it's a good idea to securely attach a rope and drop it down the chimney 1st to prevent losing the brush in the chimney( I almost did that once)..

Ray

^yeah that about it but if you've never done it before it might not be a bad idea to hire a pro and watch how it's done. As simple as the process sounds ...things can happen.

I purchased the rods and brush from Lowe's. It is my second set I wore out the first set, also many friends borrow them. I brush my masonry flue at least once a month. The 6" single wall black stove pipe from my stove to the flue collar I take it outside to my fire pit and burn newspaper in it. This starts a fire in the pipe and cleans it better than a brush. I then take black stove polish and polish the pipes. I have not had a flue fire since my first one in 1986.

Status
Not open for further replies.