cleaning classes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

philbrick

Mar 20, 2011
chicopee ma
This might sound wimpy,but is there such a thing as stove cleaning class. If not it might be a good venture for you Veterans with stoves to make a few extra bucks and help out newbies

If you know of anyone who owns a brand similar to yours it would be a nice thing to show the newbie how to take good care of their stove. As time goes on a owner sometimes needs to replace parts. If the warranty is over and you know how to remove and replace parts you can save considerable money by being able to remove and replace your self. Also there is places where you can buy parts cheaper then through a dealer.
A very good idea is for the dealer to put on a evening course on proper cleaning of the models of stoves he sells. Some dealers do this as a courtesy to the new customers. It serves two purposes; One being showing the consumer the proper way to clean his new stove and why it is important to do it the right way. Two - actually this will answer a lot of questions from the new owners saving the dealer from answering phone calls about how to do things.
After having the same stove for 5 years a owner has a pretty good idea of how it works and how to take things apart to repair them and normally you will see igniters as being a maintenance item that will be replaced. Then exh fan might be second on the list followed by convection fan. A lot of companies use fans from generic sources which the local owner can buy himself saving cash. Same goes for igniters.

That's exactly what I did last season. A coworker has had his stove for about 7 years and just couldn't afford to keep paying a tech the $300. So I told him I would properly clean his stove while him and his wife watched and took notes. I only asked $85 for my time and travel. But they gave me a good tip too! He also told a few friends what I was doing and lined them up for me.

This season I just needed to loan him some tools and he was able to do it himself.

I have tried a few times to run classes at the shop here, but attendance was low. Now I just do it 1 on 1. Have a few units around that are partially disassembled to show the guts and I walk peeps through it. Group settings can be hard because you just never know who is, or is not comfortable with tools and such.

There are some people who just don't feel comfortable or confident in themselves enough to do it and will feel safer having a dealer do a annual cleaning for them. I guess I grew up in a environment where we fix things ourselves and as a result my mind just assumes everyone does the same. I am wrong about that and apologize if I insulted anyone as that was not my intention.
When you hire a dealer to clean your stove he knows the weak points of that model and probably can predict ahead of time when a part may fail. He may suggest replacing a part based on how long said part usually lasts and that way you can expect a trouble free season instead of waking up to a cold house in the coldest part of winter and having to wait a couple of weeks before the service person can get there with the new part they had to ordere special for you.

philbrick said:
This might sound wimpy,but is there such a thing as stove cleaning class. If not it might be a good venture for you Veterans with stoves to make a few extra bucks and help out newbies

Hello

I am sure if you don't mind driving to PA and paying their price, they would NOT turn you down!!

See NFI training page in link below:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/77256/

Every fall, the dealer where I bought my stove has a harman rep come over to
conduct a cleaning/operating session.
This is all new to me, so I signed up.
I expect a call when they confirm a date.----Jerry.

Fireside Stove Shop on center st., Auburn.
Give Donna a call! --or Gary (the owner).----Jerry.

I had a good experience there.
Gary knows his stoves, that's for sure and Donna's patient and easy to talk with.
Maybe I'll see you there Chunk!----Jerry.

I read my manual and read posts here on how to clean stoves in general. I then paid the dealer 1 time after the first year of use and watched what the tech did. I realized that he did not do anything that I cannot do; and I actually clean it better than he did including the blowers. But i'm hands on with most stuff anyway.

Well, I just called and she wasn't sure if they'd have the cleaning demo this.
I said I'm still interested so we'll see.---Jerry.

Here's a tried and true method of cleaning the pellet vent and all those hard to reach spots... some dumb-a** member here started this deal a few years ago... I think he has since been banned... good riddance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SNnlXewOCQ

I saw the video on this site before, Krooser.
I'm more than willing to clean it that way, but I'm not convinced that it's harmless to a stoves innards---fans, bearings, electronics...I don't know!
After all, the original poster, the "dumb-a**" ? you speak of, doesn't exactly seem professional?----Jerry.

jmart said:
I saw the video on this site before, Krooser.
I'm more than willing to clean it that way, but I'm not convinced that it's harmless to a stoves innards---fans, bearings, electronics...I don't know!
After all, the original poster, the "dumb-a**" ? you speak of, doesn't exactly seem professional?----Jerry.

My dealer is the largest pellet stove dealer in the US... he's been cleaning stoves like this for over 20 years.... perfectly safe for all stoves.

smilejamaica said:

Eric gets a commission every time you click on one of his posts....

krooser said:
smilejamaica said:

Eric gets a commission every time you click on one of his posts....
sounds fair to me

jmart said:
Every fall, the dealer where I bought my stove has a harman rep come over to
conduct a cleaning/operating session.
This is all new to me, so I signed up.
I expect a call when they confirm a date.----Jerry.

Same here with our Harman dealer. I signed up as well.

We did schedule a yearly PM with our dealer. A tech came out for a thorough cleaning at the end of the season (early summer). I wanted to be sure I had been doing everything correctly. He said I did a great job with the cleaning/maintenance. He gave me a couple of tips to try this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.