cleaning d-cell leakage/ corrosion

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pybyr

Minister of Fire
Jun 3, 2008
Adamant, VT 05640
I had what was a pristine new old stock German-made NATO metal flashlight/ lamp, but just discovered that the RadioShack Enercells leaked in it while sitting, with the switch off. Now there's caustic fuzz and corrosion on various internal parts. I am PO-ed as these lamps are a really intriguing design and no longer readily available.

What's the best way to clean this crud out (including from crannies that are not readily accessible without taking out rivets, which I do not want to do) and neutralize it without leaving other remnants of reactive stuff behind?

Thanks!

I used steel wool and baking soda, but that was on a Mag-lite with all the guts removed.

Lemon juice helps on alkaline battery leaks too.

Once the acid starts corroding through any plating it's tough to stop. Especially aluminum.

Had same thing happen to a 5 cell mag light. Used a hot baking soda/water solution in the tube leaving the switch installed. Cleaned the end cap and lamp assembly separately with baking soda/water, let everything air dry completely. That was over 10 years ago and still using the flashlight today. Now if I pull the batteries out they always have a lite power on them from where the aluminum was ate by the acid but it does not bother the working of the flashlight.

Hello

The brush kits from Harbor Freight Below are amazing!

The kit for $2.99 is the one I used to clean off the leakage in the battery holder in my gas fireplace. I used the small steel and brass brushes. They worked great!

BTW, can you post a pic of your tock German-made NATO metal flashlight/ lamp

We would luv to see it!

Harbor Freight Brush kits
Also I got the 6 piece brush kit for $2.99 !!
http://www.harborfreight.com/6-piece-detail-brush-set-93610.html

Attachments

• HFTube&WoodBrushKits.jpg
    HFTube&WoodBrushKits.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 184
Status
Not open for further replies.