Cleaning Pellet Pipe-Harman Direct Vent Kit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

weerwolv

Hi everyone,

I always do a full stove cleaning but I'm having a heck of time getting access to the simpson Duravent T Pipe access door for for cleaning which is right behind the stove. It will not budge for removal.

Is there a trick to opening it that I'm not seeing? I figured you grab the lower access ring and turn left for removal. It will not move an inch.

Updated with picture

Attachments

• IMG-20111021-00032.jpg
    IMG-20111021-00032.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 289
Have you had it apart before? I'd try a strap wrench instead of the pliers, turn harder. It WILL move unless ............... don't tell me .......... did you silicone the inside when you put it back together????????????

Yep. Strap wrench like Hoss said. Do you have an Oil Filter wrench? If you siliconed that piece, its gonna be a PITA!! That is the section that if you use anything, use the high temp tape.IMO

Oh, yeah, wasn't thinking, oil filter wrench should work on that, it's probably 3" pipe. Mine is 4", most filter wrenches ain't quite big enough.

To go along with the strap/oil filter wrench if you did get silicone in there a little heat from a gas torch use the spreader tip might soften the seal so you can get the cap off.

Remember it is gentle heat you want.

I used a heat gun on some siliconed pipes. Should work on the cap too! Like STB said gentle heat! Works for super glue too!

Status
Not open for further replies.