Cleaning question for Harman P series owners.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

shtrdave

Feeling the Heat
Feb 13, 2012
SW PA
I really like the stove, I would change a few things if I could. The tube that runs towards the door on the left side. Why would they put that there and not cover or close the gap between it and the ledge on the side.

Big question I have is in front of the door where the holes are for the air to keep the glass clean, there is a slot I see a fair amount of ash in there. I tried to clean it out, it wouldn't suck out with the sweeper, so bright idea, reverse the hose and try to blow it out. Don't ever do this unless you want ash spread everywhere through out the room. I put some towels over to try to catch it but no good.

So how do you clean that area out?

I make a couple of passes with a crevice tool to remove the ash. I don't even look to see if I get it all. I'm guessing if perform an LBT, that will get it. I really don't worry about that particular place all that much.

For that air wash slot, I put just enough masking tape over it so the nozzle of the vacuum covers one end and I suck itbout while in test mode…annually I have the air intake off at the back and vacuum out the tube mentioned above, you can see it with the flapper up

Reactions: Mt Bob
I didn't worry about it so much either, but I noticed a lot of ash on the right side. I would say there was close 2 cups in there.

I will try the tape and test mode method to see how that works, it has to be better than what I did the other week with trying to blow it out with the sweeper.

If you remove the air intake flap(very easy) you have access to the hole that feeds the tube, that feeds the glass wash slots. Cleaning it helps keep the glass cleaner, but usually not necessary but once a season. In addition to previous ways,I have used 1 of these. It is stuff chimney cleaners come up with,when they cannot use a leaf blower. 1- use air pressure and a small nozzle down in the slots,you can cover some with cardboard or a rag,so you can move and get to all, WHILE running a good vacuum, the hose which is stuck in the air intake.You may have to tape open the flap if you do not remove it. @ remove the flap, use a air nozzle, and blow air into the hole that feeds the tube for the slots. Stove in test mode,so combustion fan is running. 3- Have heard some get good results just from using the exhaust of a vacuum blowing into the air flap.

Reactions: Washed-Up
My stove is not in a spot that is easy to get to the back of. That was one of the reasons I went with this one, I could get side panels to reduce the side clearance. I also have an OAK I would need to figure out what holds it on.

I have about 13" between the stove and a built in counter on the left side and more roomon the right but still not easy to get to the back of it.

Could you put a few photos up?

My stove is not in a spot that is easy to get to the back of. That was one of the reasons I went with this one, I could get side panels to reduce the side clearance. I also have an OAK I would need to figure out what holds it on.

I have about 13" between the stove and a built in counter on the left side and more roomon the right but still not easy to get to the back of it.
You don't pull it out once a year and clean convection blower, and vacuum the combustion motor?

My P38/43 has been in since 2003. I used a small tube taped in my shop vac hose once and stuck it down in the slot and cleaned it out. Should be no ash back in the tube it always has a air flow coming toward the front of the stove.

The distribution blower isn't to bad to get to. I had replaced it when it was installed, the people putting it in didn't like the noise it made and said they would bring a new one and swap. I just picked it up and did it myself. He told me to notch the one hole so I didn't have to take the bolt the whole way out. I removed it and cleaned it for the first time since having the stove. I was expecting a lot of dust and dirt it was quite clean. The combustion blower I have replaced twice now and it is harder for me to get to, I usually need help from the GF because the bolts don't hold tight and turn when I try to loosen or tighten. It is not easy to get to for a fat man.

I thought about this, but at the spur of the moment I did something foolish. I have to find some tubing that will fit in there. I had also thought about getting a 6 or 8" piece of copper tubing and putting it in the vice to flatten the one end some and rigging to the sweeper.

I don't worry about mine much. If I do do it, I squeeze a rubber hose into the slot and use vac to suck out what I can. Use what ever works.. Don't get it all, but OK.. Is this a corner install ?