Cleaning the muffler on a Stihl 036 chainsaw.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leftyscott

Apr 6, 2009
arkansas
Couple of months ago my saw was spuuttering, not spinning the blade well so I took it to the local dealer who advised it was a dirty muffler. They cleaned it out. Ran perfect after this.

Fast foward 2 months.... same symptoms so I called the dealer. He asked if I let it idle a lot which I did on the last cut. Idling is bad!

He tells me to unscrew the outer cover and use a propane torch to burn off all the gunk inside. Sure enough it was filthy. Looked like creosote.

Not sure after taking the cover off, if I was supposed to disassemble the muffler or not. I didn't see any way to take it off the actual saw so I just burned the the gunk off with the muffler attached. I was a little nervous with the torch so close to plastic.

The saw ran fine afterwards , so I guess I did it correctly and saved $25 as well.

If this how you all clean your mufflers?

Thanks,

I've got an 036 Pro. It runs great, but I'll look at it and see if there's a build up. I've never cleaned the muffler. Do you run rich on oil?

Der Fiur Meister said:
I've got an 036 Pro. It runs great, but I'll look at it and see if there's a build up. I've never cleaned the muffler. Do you run rich on oil?

Not to my knowledge.... I use the Stihl brand oil mix and always give my gas can a good shake before filling it up. I've had the saw for 12 years and never had to mess with the muffler before ths year.

Thanks,

You don't say what ratio you use. Maybe your carb low jet and idle needs adjustment. Maybe you need a new plug.

LLigetfa said:
You don't say what ratio you use. Maybe your carb low jet and idle needs adjustment. Maybe you need a new plug.

I think the ratio is 50/1 and I did put a new plug in as a precaution.

Thanks,

leftyscott said:
I think the ratio is 50/1...
Maybe you're getting AAADD like me. THe last time I mixed some gas, I screwed up on my ratio. I knew how may litres of gas I'd need for the amount of oil I had already put into the can but the can wouldn't hold that much gas. After I got it home I had to pour half of the mix into another can and top them both off to get the right ratio. Getting old sucks.
leftyscott said:
...I did put a new plug in as a precaution.
Just cuz it's new doesn't mean it's good. I've seen it before where the old plug worked better than the new one. I also ruined a new plug with just one flooding.

leftyscott said:
Couple of months ago my saw was spuuttering, not spinning the blade well so I took it to the local dealer who advised it was a dirty muffler. They cleaned it out. Ran perfect after this.

Fast foward 2 months.... same symptoms so I called the dealer. He asked if I let it idle a lot which I did on the last cut. Idling is bad!

He tells me to unscrew the outer cover and use a propane torch to burn off all the gunk inside. Sure enough it was filthy. Looked like creosote.

Not sure after taking the cover off, if I was supposed to disassemble the muffler or not. I didn't see any way to take it off the actual saw so I just burned the the gunk off with the muffler attached. I was a little nervous with the torch so close to plastic.

The saw ran fine afterwards , so I guess I did it correctly and saved $25 as well.

If this how you all clean your mufflers?

Thanks,

Sounds like your jetted rich.

I heard there is two ways to run a chainsaw. Either WIDE open or not at all.

I too have a 9-10? (can't remember) year old 036 and have never had any problems.

It needs lean up a little

Status
Not open for further replies.