Cleaning the pipe on a blaze king

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

toejam

Sep 27, 2009
Johnstown, Pa
Last year I took the pipe off from the stove and put cardboard between the two and cleaned the pipe. I have a telescoping pipe that makes this almost impossible because of the poor design. Can I clean the pipe with the it connected to the stove? There isnt much to clean. There is some tar buildup near the top of the chimney.

I did, with no ill effects. I just made sure my bypass was open, and I cleaned off the shelf where the bypass damper closes really well before using the stove. It is a straight shot down, I have no idea why you would need to pull the stove. It makes no sense to me.

I was just going by the directions. I did pull the cat from the stove only to loose the entire gasket around it. It was pretty dirty. I might try and use what pieces I can to reseal it back in place.

Hmmm, after running the stove for a few hours it looks like I need a new gasket. Not used to seeing smoke from the chimney..... Cleaning my cat out really brought it back to life.

Any ideas on were I can order the gasket? I know BK will tell me my dealer. My dealer is 2.5 hours away.

Is there a gasket inside and outside the housing?

Yes , there are 2 gaskets. 1 around the cat itself and then 1 around the metal housing. You should only have to replace the one that fell apart on you. The other should still be in good shape.

If you look at the pic's below you see the old metal cat that is not in the housing and a new Ceramic cat that is in the housing all tapped up with the gasket. You can see little metal tabs that keep the cat from being pushed to far into the stove.

The gasket width is the same size as the large Dutch West Cat Stove (2964?) I think it needs to be 30 inches long but measure the cat just to be sure. If you have any Dutch West dealers near you, you might get lucky.

Attachments

• Cat1.jpg
    Cat1.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 272
  • Cat2.jpg
    Cat2.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 275
When you order the cat gasket from BK it comes to the size you need. The dealers around here usually charge by the foot so I guess it would come as a roll.

Status
Not open for further replies.