cleaning up my huge mess

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ecocavalier02

Minister of Fire
Dec 12, 2008
ct
Im really realizing now that giving selling wood a chance was a really dumb idea. haha. guess you live and learn. im just going to hate myself until i have this mess cleaned up. have so many chunks to go through its amazing. Made this little shindig to put the uglies in. now i need some 2xs to screw in for sides. taking it one day at a time. i made a pretty big mess in my yard. its a little overwhelming. but im getting there.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 834
OH yeah did i mention it was a really dumb idea. hahaha. if i ever give it a go again ill i have a tractor and lots more land to do it on. this is a lot of work without having all the equipment

Eco, you just need to have a 1/2 price sale on chunks and uglies ;-) I figure at least 1/2 of what I bring home couldn't be sold by the time you trim the long stuff and toss aside the ugly and short stuff. Last year, a third of what I burned was chunks and uglies. This year will be more. The problem only gets worse when you sell all the straight stuff at sellable length.

Yeah next years season looks like it will be about a third of the season Of uglies. I got quite a bit this year as well.

Nothing about that would make me sad, 'cause it's all split! A beautiful sight indeed! All the work is done! You'll burn it sometime.

That's just half. Of it I still have more to split. The only thing sad is the mess i created. on week 3 of spending nights getting organized. I will be happy when I get it all cleaned up. Then I can stay organized. These pieces were what's left over from about 15 cords I cut this summer.

Have you seen the grapple the tree guys use on skid steers? I watched a guy running one after Irene and it is amazing how much material he moved in a short period of time without ever leaving the cockpit. Made pushin around the heap with the loader on my little Ford look pretty silly.

yeah there pretty sick.. i watch in envy of hoping someday i could have somthing like that. if i could just borrow one of those for a few hours i could do some serious cleaning. make some sense of stuff in no time. haha

Just hang in there Bobby and you'll get the mess cleaned up. I've known several others who also decided to stop selling firewood just because of the mess it makes cutting and splitting and storing.

That's why I would have to sell my wood for about $500/cord to make it worth all the effort. Its hard enough work getting enough for myself cut, split, and stacked. More power to you!

I'm starting ti think 1000 dollars a cord would have been better. I think I made like 5 bucks an hour this. Lol

SolarAndWood said:
Have you seen the grapple the tree guys use on skid steers? I watched a guy running one after Irene and it is amazing how much material he moved in a short period of time without ever leaving the cockpit. Made pushin around the heap with the loader on my little Ford look pretty silly.

You mean one of these? They're friggin' awesome. I've used one on a skid steer before, too. Also awesome, and easier to maneuver around the yard.

Attachments

• IMG_20110708_135116.jpg
    IMG_20110708_135116.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 452
I have done a lot of things in my life to make some extra money to make ends meet, but selling any of my fire wood has never been one on them. Just never could part with any of it. The only wood that has ever left my property has been up the chimney, except for my son once when he was behind. But that's different.

jeff_t said:
You mean one of these? They're friggin' awesome.

Very similar. Was very good at logs, rounds and brush. Trees disappeared into the chipper and the dump truck fast.

ecocavalier02 said:
Im really realizing now that giving selling wood a chance was a really dumb idea. haha. guess you live and learn. im just going to hate myself until i have this mess cleaned up. have so many chunks to go through its amazing. Made this little shindig to put the uglies in. now i need some 2xs to screw in for sides. taking it one day at a time. i made a pretty big mess in my yard. its a little overwhelming. but im getting there.

Take your time eco, you'll have another mess next year. We sold over one years worth of wood this year, I stacked all of it last year, this year I deliver it down the road to my neighbors, it still sits in the same pile I through it in.

It went from dry wood to wet wood an my guess it will be like that through the winter, this is his wood for this year. Unless we need the money I won't sell anymore next year.

zap

Yeah there will probably be another mess next year but not like this lol. everything just got dumped everywhere. im getting there one day at a time. i really enjoy cutting and processing wood. but i dont enjoy processing in a mess. i have so many 2 inch 3 inch 6 inch 10 inch pieces its nuts. ive just been splitting them small so i can burn them next year. i probably wont have to burn any of my good wood next year unless its really cold out. im going to put a ply wood rough over the little pallet box i made to keep them dry. then ill just wheel barrow them up as i burn them. my buddy has a bunch of 2x's left over from a job so im gonna screw those on this weekend. should fit a least a crod in there.

tfdchief said:
I have done a lot of things in my life to make some extra money to make ends meet, but selling any of my fire wood has never been one on them. Just never could part with any of it. The only wood that has ever left my property has been up the chimney, except for my son once when he was behind. But that's different.
i have been givving some away. some to my father and some to my neighbor. i think as i get a lot of wood now i would like to help some people in need that need wood. that will be much more satisfying than selling it. i thnk i ll just sell a few cords a year if i get to much on hand.

This post reminds me why I always have a tape measure when cutting firewood. Before I make my first cut, other than a felling cut, I lay out the tree (we use marking paint). I don't want any uglies and I try to bring home 16" pieces of wood. I learned this from a friend and it makes nice stacks of wood.

I do have some buts and uglies I have been thinking about giving away.

i mark out the whole tree as well. but there were lots of left overs. just what happens when ya cut 15 cords. lol. i dont mind burning them or splitting them. its all fuel to me.

I try to leave the uglies and other waste in the woods whenever possible. I just don't have the room to deal with it on only 1/4 acre. I have to be picky.

I won't go for a load if it's all cut to 12 inches an under. But whe. I'm cutting or scrounging if there I'm most likely takin em. They all make fuel. But by the end of november I'm ready to Burn some normal wood.

Well today i feel a big relief i am getting there. at least now it looks organized. the pile to the right is going to my dad and neighbor. so that'll get that mess out of there. then just cleeaning up all the bark and i will feel like a million bucks..

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 146
Looking better already Bobby.

ecocavalier02 said:
Well today i feel a big relief i am getting there. at least now it looks organized. the pile to the right is going to my dad and neighbor. so that'll get that mess out of there. then just cleeaning up all the bark and i will feel like a million bucks..

Looks good eco, you will like that 660 when you get it.

zap

Status
Not open for further replies.