Cleaning ..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vinelife

Minister of Fire
May 31, 2010
Way Up North Michigan
Well.. i've burned 12 bags so far this season between Sep and Oct. Today I did a deeper cleaning as I noticed with my quad that every 12 bags needs a good deep cleaning. I also did the leaf blower thing which was great. I'm going to do it once a month in the winter.

When I'm burning a lot I clean the pot every day and brush out the holes with a gun cleaning brass brush,every Sunday I empty the pan clean the glass and pull out the baffle plates and paint brush around the tubes.

I do the pot everyday also...

Attachments

• HFTube&WoodBrushKits.jpg
    HFTube&WoodBrushKits.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 312
Use a good brush and a canister vac with HEPA filtration/filter bags and vacuum every nook and cranny between burns. I clean out the burn area between burns (meaning almost daily), baffles are removed and cleaned biweekly, ash pan is emptied usually once per week depending on how many bags I burn in a given week, sometimes I can go longer between ash pan emptying. Run the brush through the fire pot to loosen up ash and vacuum it out thoroughly. I run the leaf blower (as well as a rotating brush through the 4" PL vent) at the end of each burn season -- this past Spring (when I did my final cleaning in April) hardly any ash blew out of the pipe, it was surprisingly clean.

I scrape the pot everyday. I dont do the vac thing only after 12 bags... I clean the window every otherday as well as brush down the ash into the pan...and leaf blower once a month.

Any successful pellet burner knows that he or she needs to be committed to a cleaning schedule if they want to stay warm. How many stove owners get into pellet burning knowing this from the onset? Was your dealer upfront asking/telling you if you were aware of what you were getting into? So many stoves on Craig's list!
It would be really good to see courses offered in adult ed on "strategics for successful home heating with your pellet stove"

Status
Not open for further replies.